Author Topic: Device description in a language not known, ple  (Read 10569 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Device description in a language not known, ple
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:15:55 am »
Hi,
              I have updated the drivers and one among them being universal serial bus controllers. The device description is in foreign or unknown language , but the provider is said to be NEC. Please say, whether i have to roll back the drivers. Before , i was having the lesser version and now, the higher version.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Device description in a language not known, ple
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:29:06 am »
Where did you download it from ?

Under the General tab click on Details then use the dropdown to select Hardware Ids.

You'll see a driver highlighted which should look something like PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26&SUBSYS_FC301179&REV_04

Make a note of the VEN which for mine is 8086 and then the DEV which is 1C26

Put the VEN number into the top box and the DEV number into the lower one of http://pcidatabase.com/ then hit enter.

As you can see, that IDs mine as Intel http://pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=1C26&device_search=Search

See what it gives for yours.

In Device Manager right click on the Controller and select Update Driver Software - Browse my computer - Let me pick...

You may see more than one to select.

Make a note of those and then go back to the Controller and rollback the driver then see what date is on the earlier driver to compare.

Go back to Let me pick... to see if the position of the drivers has been changed.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:25:55 pm »
Hi,
                I have done as per your idea. I enclose the files for ready reference. Now it has been in rolled back stage. What is that driver by NEC, which is also digitally signed.
                     Please say whether this is enough, or could go back to have that name freak driver. Its version , as per my diagram in earlier post is higher. pl advise

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 01:48:43 am »
I don't know really know what NEC drivers are and Google has proven fruitless, but as your system is using Intel then while that NEC driver may be compatible, it will be an updated NEC driver and not Intel - at least that is my understanding.

You could use the Intel auto detect to see if there are any updates for any of your drivers, however, the general ruling is that you don't need to keep updating drivers if the one you have is working fine and sometimes newer drivers can be the cause of problems - hence Windows option of a Roll back.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

As the article says, sometimes drivers are OEM modified, so in the first instance you should always go to your computer support website to check for updates.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 04:06:00 am »
Hi, please see the enclosure.
             If i click the message at the top, then it goes to list some other manufacturers, who other than intel, would have given intel support to the computer.
                   I am having intel board and the message seems to be incorrect.
                    How it could not find my intel products? Boggin. The intel service is very poor and cannot be taken for sure. It does not list any driver , atleast the present drivers present physically in the system.
                        Ok, by the by, i understand the company NEC would have made compatible higher version for usb host controllers . But how to check, what changes are carried out in the improved version. Is there any way? Why the driver name is not in english language. When i went to the hardware id and all that, it shows as intel signed by microsoft...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:14:16 am »
The one that you put into the PCI Database - was that for the rolled back one or the NEC updated driver ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 09:05:22 pm »
Hi,
            That was the one , with NEC. After , i rolled back the driver. Altogether there were 8 updated unknown language drivers, and 6 has been rolled back to previous in one try. Another try, fixed the other two.Now , i will check with the pci data base with the rolled back drivers and will report, what it shows in the search in my next post.
                        Normally the drivers name starts with english letters, but this one , with gnu with f sign removed .What that denotes, but the details inside shows intel..., and you know that from my first post

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »
Hi, the driver details of the foreign language is by NEC ver 7.7.0.1 by microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher
The version that was present before the update was provided by microsoft  windows version 6.1.7601.18328
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:24:33 pm by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:42:38 am »
You didn't say where you downloaded the NEC drivers from.

If you want to check if they have any updates, then do it from Device Manager by right clicking on them then on Update Driver Software then on Search online.

Quite often it will return that you have the latest driver, but as I've said, there's no need to update drivers if the current one is working as it should.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 10:16:08 am »
J. my guess is that you have used some third party program to update your drivers? I've seen Driver Booster and the like throw up some pretty weird recommended drivers on friends' machines that they have installed, for me to then sort out  :wink:

Your screen shots show VIA USB Host controller with NEC driver, when you have stated that it is an Intel board and device ID clearly shows the USB HCI as Intel too. I'm with Boggin if you don't have a problem leave drivers alone, and I don't recommend third party driver finders, they have to find something/ anything to look good.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 08:05:34 pm »
Hi, Thanks . So, i kept the previous version, by rolling back the drivers. I found  that saved streaming videos, which site do not allow download, not playing well , out of sync between audio and video . so, i thought of updating drivers. As you said, the auto update determines the drivers are up to date. I tried drivermax, which reasonably provides free download of drivers without any bundled software. It has shown out dated drivers for which , i checked with intel sites. But the support from intel is minimum and for older computers, even their update drivers software are not working properly.
                               I found the drivers , which is actual drivers from intel, in the pci websites, and one among shows usb drivers. I downloaded and it showed in unknown language. Intel site did state that some vendors are providing intel drivers  for the supported system.
                                  Now, rolling back was the option, i did not try . I tried and succeeded to get back my previous version.
                                  Individual drivers from drivermax is the best thing if any driver did not work, as it is not bundled with any other driver. Even after updating graphics drivers , the streaming video does not play correctly.
                                 I was using google dns and hence i addressed the hotstar team. From their tool, i was told that the video is routed thro singapore, google dns , and asked me to contact my ISP{. I knew that , and changed to auto find the dns in the internet options. Now, it changed to my service provider , and still the video is sort of buffering and out of sync with video. It is the only site, and in all other sites and all the tv broadcasting sites, the video plays well with sound.
                                      I left it at that level, they are still not providing any clue to why it is so . I have the latest adobe flash player .
                                       Thanks for the wonderful tips to not to download from third parties.
                                       Driver finder and driver guru sites, if you try, would force you to click and download unwanted bundled programs.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 08:39:03 pm »
So does Device manager show Intel USB Enhanced Controller now? Not VIA or NEC?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:03:25 pm by Samson, Reason: Spelling »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 09:19:50 pm »
Hi,
Samson ,
Please see the enclosed files

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 09:29:54 pm »
So you have rolled back to 6.1.7601.18328 driver now?

PS I dare not look at the cricket score  :shy:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:33:44 pm by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 09:35:08 pm »
Hi, Yes,
                 So, will it mean that NEC provide intel supported or microsoft usb compatible drivers. I thought , the later version would give some improvements over the older driver. Say improved speed performance .Even the shown lpc controller drivers was updated from drivermax.
                           That problem from hotstar is still continuing. I will raise a separate thread for that. Thanks and anymore information is welcome on this

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 09:43:11 pm »
Personally I would never use a third party program, like Drivermax, to update drivers. Only the manufacturer, OEM or Microsoft. But hey, it's your choice.