Author Topic: Tweaking Repair All Tool  (Read 8205 times)

Offline loganbadger

• View Profile
Tweaking Repair All Tool
« on: November 29, 2016, 05:39:10 am »
I ran Tweaking Repair All Tool on my Windows 7 Dell computer and it changed my log in password to my computer access-User control- Now I can't log in to view it. That's why I am posting this through myWindows 10  laptop.

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking Repair All Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 07:06:13 am »
I've passed this onto Shane as you would need your password to use the advanced boot options to use your restore points - although I'm not sure what you mean by "computer access-User control".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:27:46 am »
On a recap, if you have a System Repair Disk you can boot up with that which will get you the Recovery Environment without the need of a password to select System Restore, but you would need to change the boot order in the BIOS (Setup) for the machine to check the DVD drive first.

If you haven't created a System Repair Disk, these can be created on any Win 7 machine that has the same architecture as yours - 32 or 64bit, but a 32 bit cannot be used on a 64bit machine or vice versa.

Do you know anyone who has such a machine ?

Offline loganbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:14:15 pm »
I have a windows 7 Home Premium (For Refurbished PCs) disk that came with the computer I bought from Walmart.Unfortunately , my Windows 7 dvd/cd player doesn't work the door stays open (it stays open permanently and will shut only briefly).I am trying to fix it through/with a USB download as that is only thing I can do at this point is use a USB stick.Looking at some  youtube vids and found a few videos that talk about going in through "Ease of Access".

I have another computer and am  using it to write this email to you,
 it is  a laptop.It is 64 bit and  looks like I may have trouble with the download as the Windows 7 desktop is pretty old 2012 and it is 32 bit.

So we'll see!

Any advice or help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 01:24:26 am »
While I haven't seem any vids about using Ease of Access, I would think you would still need your password to log in to get there.

When you are talking about downloading, are you talking about downloading a Win 7 x32bit ISO to create a bootable USB ?

While you can do this from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7 it will only authorise the download if you have a valid retail key to enter and I would think that the disk you have would be an OEM version.

To determine if your key is Retail or OEM or even Corporate, run a Command Prompt as an administrator and enter slmgr /dli or slmgr /dlv

You'll be able to make a bootable USB from your DVD on your Win 10 machine using this method http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_Windows_7_bootable_install_USB_stick

Offline loganbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 01:09:12 pm »
I am still trying to do just do a repair at this point.It's nice to have those links you provided though as a last resort though.Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 01:54:53 pm »
If you have a qualifying key then you can download the ISO and use http://wudt.codeplex.com/ to create a bootable USB, but you can also create a bootable USB from your install disk using the method in my last link and then you will be able to perform a repair install.

The latter would be a first resort.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:56:29 pm by Boggin »

Offline loganbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 03:40:21 pm »
Just would like to know if you could send me a detailed way to login to my account or just do it for me.I can't seem to do it.About to try the original Dell website ,but might have to go to Joy (Walmart's Refurbished dealer)We can wait till  after Christmas sometime.

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 04:05:16 pm »
I've sent Shane another email about this as I don't how Windows Repair has managed to change your password.

There are free password recovery programs out there you could try - https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179

As the first one is an ISO download, then use the link I've posted for the Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to see if it will create a bootable USB from it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 06:01:39 am »
From that list of free password recovery programs, I downloaded the second one which is for Offline NT Password & Recovery and tried Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool but it didn't accept it as an ISO, so had to use ImgBurn from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

However, this program only burns to disk so you will have to convert that to an USB.