Author Topic: Pro Features > System Tweaks changes colour / theme  (Read 10253 times)

Offline KR

• View Profile
Pro Features > System Tweaks changes colour / theme
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »
Hello,
I was so happy with WR tool that I purchased the Pro Version only to find out that it does non-intended things.

In Pro Features I only applied the System Tweaks (I did NOT go any further yet to the next sections or even to Visual Features) ... yet System Tweaks changed the look of Windows, border colours...??!!?? And there is NO way to re-set it in Personalize > Window Colour.

Luckily I made a system image just before and I could get my personal / custom look again.

Why is that? Please help

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pro Features > System Tweaks changes colour / theme
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:36:23 pm »
My Toshiba laptops don't like being tweaked so I've never used that feature to give you an explanation.

I'll pass this onto Shane but don't know when I'll get a reply.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 06:54:09 pm »
Please do.
I spent the money for the extra features and I'm not sure it was a good decision.
I was very happy with the repair tool - now a complete disappointment with the extra features/tweaks.
(so far that means - but the Performance tweaks should not effect and change optical / theme features)

As I said - I tried twice: I restored from system image to get my custom Windows look back ... tried again by ONLY using the first section: System Tweaks (Performance) ... and even unchecked a couple of things ... yet ... my Windows borders/frames are blue again ... and NO way to re-set them to gray in Personalize > Window Colour

Please let me know if there is a way to avoid this since I would like to use the other tweaks.

(is there a money back / refund option?)

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:09:10 am »
In my email to Shane I included a link to your thread.

If I haven't heard anything back after a couple of days or so, I'll email him again, but he has a back log of emails to work his way through.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:16:13 am »
Thanks Boggin ... and Happy New Year

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 06:09:25 am »
- Which of the 4 options did you select (See inside the red box in the picture attached) ? Because if you have selected the "Visual tweaks" box (as well) then those "Visual Tweaks" will be applied as well. And the default setting is that this box "Visual Tweaks" is ticked.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:12:54 am by Willy2 »

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:51:32 am »
Hi Willy2,
just checked ... by opening Tweaker Pro Features > Systen Tweaks ... yes all four are checked .. by default?? ... I don't know, but they are. So I guess they were then even when I applied only the first step.
I will go through it again leaving visual tweaks out.
Any other advise to avoid changes of personal, cosmetical, appearence changes?

Thanks

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 07:40:35 am »
- The current problem is that I don't know if the tweak tool reads the active settings for all those tweaks upon start up.
- Each extra visual Windows gimmick uses (some) extra CPU. I have switched off almost every visual gimmick\tweak for more performance.

- I do have some general advice: Make a backup with the "Tweaking's Registry Backup" tool. Or install the (free) standalone Registry Backup tool version (as well). It then makes a copy of the registry upon start up. Because (all ??) those "visual" changes/tweaks are stored in the registry.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 01:19:59 pm »
Hi Willy2,
ok- I applied tweaks as I see fit and all is good.
I might just say that it might be a bit confusing that, when still working in the first stage / system tweaks, the following 3 are also checked by default. I did not see that - my fault.
So I completely unchecked visual tweaks and a couple of other, single ones and all is good.

Yes - I ALWAYS make a reg. backup, even though with windows, but I guess the tool does as well. I also made a system image before applying the changes (with Macrium Reflect)

I left all visual effects "ON" since I like them and my machine has the resources to handle them and is not slowing down.(16GB Ram, SSD solely for OS)
Actually, the Performance index went even higher from 7.6 to 7.7 - so happy camper.

Thanks for your help and I can highly reommend the tool

Cheers

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 01:48:18 pm »
- Glad to hear it worked out well.
- It's good you bring this to our attention. That's the purpose of this forum. It will help Tweaking to improve the tool in a next version of WR. And I do think this should be adressed in a future version.

- Your replies gives me a clue what needs to be checked in the current tool. Still have some work to do !!! Based on that I can make recommendations to improve the tool.

Offline KR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 04:18:13 pm »
Thanks Willy2,
all is good and I will recommend the tool to my friends.
As someone who works in the graphic design business I cannot overstate that sometimes a slight difference in colour, placement or, in case of websites, logical procedure can make a big difference.
After checking/unchecking the items in System Tweaks I just clicked "apply" without noticing that it applies the other 3 as well, without even getting there yet.
Anyways... the tool and the support/your response is outstanding.
It got rid off several, repeating warnings and erros in Event Viewer and the machine is faster than ever!
]
Cheers

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 12:20:38 am »
- Another suggestion: Install PcWinTech's CLEANMEM. It will reduce memory usage.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 04:24:28 pm »
- Another suggestion: Install PcWinTech's CLEANMEM. It will reduce memory usage.

Have you use Outertech's Cacheman? if so what one do you like better Cacheman or Cleanmem? Thanks

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 04:32:29 pm »
Just remembered that Cleanmem is Shane's program. He does right good programes. Just never used this one. Your thoughts would be good. Thanks.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 04:09:48 pm »
- CLEANMEM solely focusses on reducing memory usage. See this thread:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,5045.0.html

Never used Cacheman.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:14:09 pm by Willy2 »