Author Topic: .jpg folders and files changed to USBC[weird symbols] after search  (Read 5615 times)

Offline viewerx

• View Profile
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1  HP Pavilion Slimline s5414y

I was looking for a copy of an image and I read about using  KIND:=PICTURE in the search bar of a folder. I tried it on my 250 Gig Ext HDD and saw a bunch of stuff flying by.  [Ext HDD is a 'Storite', Lockite, something like that]

Later I went to folder with 20 or more+ Gigs of files in this Ext HDD. Instead I found one file labeled: "USBC [3 stacked lines, like = plus 1][SIGMA symbol][Big black box][Smaller dot half wayup][a period]" I see no way to attach a jpeg.

Many of the other folders and files are USBC [something weird].  Many of these I had seen 'fly by' in the search.

It all has to be there the HDD has the same size shown in "Computer" as before.   How to get it out is the problem.

On advice I have searched for both .jpg and *.jpg.  With .jpg I see covers to music and images from a big but very old folder.  With *.jpg I get the same result, but, a number of the old ones show up with 10+ copies of a dozen or so of them..

I also had used a 'duplicate file finder', but only on the PC and not the EXT HDD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!   Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:32:12 pm by viewerx »

Offline viewerx

• View Profile
Re: .jpg folders and files changed to USBC[weird symbols] after search
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:15 am »
 I have a 'Restore point" dated yesterday. Not too sure if the Time on it is before the search.

While it may work, I would still like to understand what happened.

A friend said Windows would not allow the same file names to show up.  I sent him a snip of the full page of the same images and .jpg name. 

Offline viewerx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:30:09 pm »
Shows what I know: Restore is for the C drive only.  Did not work anyway.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:44:13 pm »
You would take a PRTSC and save that in Paint then scroll down to below the reply box and click on Browse to the right of the Attach: box.

Click on the Pictures folder then on the pic > Open and then when you hit the Post button it will appear in the bottom of your post.

I'm not sure how a program can install on an external HDD that doesn't have an OS.

I'm also not sure if this program is a PuP and if removing would restore the pics to their original state.

The free version of MBAM has a Custom scan where after you plug in your external HDD, you can select that drive, start the scan and see what it finds/removes.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Click on Scan in the left pane and then Custom/Configure Scan and check the box for the ext. HDD drive then Start Scan.