Author Topic: WMI repair failed twice , new computer . SOLVED  (Read 10524 times)

Offline herb

• View Profile
WMI repair failed twice , new computer . SOLVED
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:15:39 pm »
Hello, I noticed errors relating to WMI in event logs and used "Windows repair all in one" in "safe mode" twice with just the WMI repair checked off.  I made sure to go through all the first steps and there was no errors of any kind .

I would like to know how can I correct these missing files in WMI as I don't want to have to use the recovery partition because it's packed with Dell bloat ware .  This is a Win 7 professional OS 64 bit.

I would be happy to purchase the professional version of Shane's program if I knew how to add a custom script that would add the WMI files I am missing .

Thank you very much
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:54:46 am by herb »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WMI repair failed twice , new computer .
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:05:26 pm »
Did this machine come with Win 7 x64 Pro or do you have an install disk that includes SP1 ?

It's possible that a repair install may resolve which won't affect your programs or personal stuff.

If the machine came with that version of Windows, then prior to a repair install you can go Start > type Slui 3 > press enter and enter your COA sticker key and then you will be able to activate the repair install with that key.

If you don't have such an install disk and you would like one, then PM me your address and I will send you a couple.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:43:45 pm »
The machine came with Win 7 SP1 Professional installed ,  the only thing that came with the computer is a Win 10 Pro install disk for if and when i want to use Win 10 . 

I have not been able to find a product key code anywhere on this computer , there is a product ID code but it's not an activation code that i would need to download a Win 7 SP1 Professional ISO on Microsoft's website.

Where would the COA sticker be located ?

Thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:47:35 pm »
It would be a Microsoft sticker somewhere on the case if it's a desktop and on the underside if a laptop.

It will be a 5x5 alphanumeric number.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 04:09:00 pm »
I had to use Magical Jelly Bean key finder since Dell says the key's are built into the actual system now but it pulled two keys , one for the Product ID which i already had and one for the CD key which has 25 alpha numeric #'s.

Apparently Dell scrapped COA #'s quite awhile ago according to their website.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:35:08 pm »
Magic Jellybean shows you Dell's generic key which will fail to activate a repair install and the product ID is just that.

I have three Toshiba Win 7 laptops (two now upgraded to Win 10) and they all had the same Toshiba generic key.

As Dell have now gone the route of injecting the key into the motherboard as Win 8/8.1 machines have, then a repair install isn't going to be an option and if a sfc /scannow failed to find anything wrong then neither will an offboot one.

What were the WMI Event ID Nos in Event viewer and have you tried a Google search on them as someone somewhere will probably have had the same errors as you at some point in time.

If you click on the error then on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane, you can then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 08:08:51 pm »
I took your advice and searched , i eventually happened upon the below fix , ran it in Command Prompt .  Thanks so much for your help .

winmgmt /standalonehost
winmgmt /resetrepository

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 02:07:08 am »
Glad things have worked out for you.

You can add [SOLVED] to your thread title by going to your first post, click on Modify and type that next to the title.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: WMI repair failed twice , new computer . SOLVED
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:52 am »
winmgmt /standalonehost
winmgmt /resetrepository

To be added to a future version of Windows Repair ? Boggin & Shane ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 07:35:26 am »
I've already emailed Shane about this but have since tried the cmds on one of my laptops.

After the first one I was prompted to stop and start the WMI service to effect.

I ignored that and entered the second cmd where I got a fail error because of the service being in use by others.

I then went into services.msc > stopped WMI and then redid the /resetrepository cmd where it completed successfully.

I then went back into services to restart WMI by clicking on the Start in the top left but it wasn't showing as Started.

It took a reboot to effect that.

As the WMI may be needed by others during the WR, stopping and then starting WMI without a reboot may prove problematic in including it in WR, although the net stop winmgmt and net start winmgmt cmds could be used but (from a Google) the SMS Agent Host or the Firewall may not be auto started.

No doubt Shane should be able to sort that if he ever gets around to reading my email and the shortcut I linked to this thread.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 01:54:10 pm »
I am providing a link to show you the discussion , it is only two pages and i found it interesting at the start of post # 9 .  Feel free to delete if not allowed , rumor has it that Shane dismembered a forum member while still alive for not following forums rules, it was his 1st offense , very scary, no warnings or anything. :shocked:

Thanks gentlemen

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/243922-wmi-corrupt.html

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 03:05:57 pm »
He may have dismembered someone if they were promoting another program :D - but links for alternate/additional steps when WR isn't sufficient are okay.

As he's said, it doesn't repair everything.

I quite often link tutorials and Shane will use Google for more info also.

I've had a reply from Shane and while he confirms that WR uses the /resetrepository cmd it doesn't do the /standalonehost one and he's looking into it, so expect a 3.9.22 soon.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 11:58:50 am »
Shane's programs are the best and he is such a humble and helpful computer wiz ,  he has a stellar reputation and i am glad he found fantastic moderators like yourself to take the load off of him to concentrate on other things .

Thanks again

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 01:54:53 pm »
- Agree. Adding too much commands could break more than the program fixes. And I know a few examples of that.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 09:39:29 am »
- Just looked at what's "under the bonnet" of the latest WR version and the command "winmgmt /standalonehost" has been added to the appropriate repair in WR.