Author Topic: errors after using windows repair  (Read 5309 times)

Offline ArieB

• View Profile
errors after using windows repair
« on: January 05, 2017, 05:13:31 am »
first time user
new installation of windows 10 on my desktop, indexing was not working properly, read in superuser forum windows repair would help
(I ran it twice, as adviced)
well WR does not help and worsened my situation severely: a lot af services appear to be disabled, no more sound, no internet (this session is on my laptop) security warnings, shortly, a mess

anyone in there for help?

ArieB

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: errors after using windows repair
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 07:44:02 am »
Did you run the program in Safe Mode with Networking or use the program to boot into that mode ?

The program shouldn't have done that but use Option 5 in the program to restore the registry.

Use the dropdown to select the date of the backup and click on Restore now.

After the reboot follow the steps in this tutorial to see if rebuilding the Index does it for you.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-fix-windows-10-search-issues-by-rebuilding-index/

Offline ArieB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:43:50 am »
Yes, I did run in safe mode. I even had the power cord removed and then the on/off switch pressed a couple of times.

No, I do not want to use this program ever more.  Let alone buy the pro version.
I could not even reset windows to a previous recovery point.
Only after I inserted the installation usb stick, then I could go back to the point just before I installed this " windows repair"  (what's in a name?).

I am even hesitant to use other tweaking.com programs, like svchost Look_Up tool. At least I will make a recovery point before I start it :wink:

Thanks for the tutorial, hope it helps.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:56:49 am »
The program auto backs up the registry before you run the repairs and I will use the program to back up my registry rather than create or rely on a restore point.

I've recently performed a repair install on this laptop but it wasn't booting properly after, so I restored with a registry back up I'd previously created in the program and now that is sorted, although it still has the problems it had before the repair install which I can live with.

I have the Pro version on this laptop but it doesn't like it either as it freezes after the reboot after running the repairs.

However, there are many who have attested to its effectiveness in resolving their problems.