Author Topic: New Windows repair won't run  (Read 8463 times)

Offline herb

• View Profile
New Windows repair won't run
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:37:30 pm »
I tried to run Windows repair after trying to do a backup and both failed .  After starting the repairs it doesn't do anything , it just says "starting repairs" even after 5 min of waiting for something to happen.

Will the program fix the errors in my log?

Thank you

As you can see in the first screenshot , look at the time elapsed and the start still saying starting repairs , it never starts .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:40:06 pm by herb »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Windows repair won't run
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:59:48 am »
And is this in Safe Mode ?

I'd try uninstalling/reinstalling the program if it's doing this in Safe Mode with Networking.

Which version of Windows are you using ?

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:40:31 pm »
Thanks Boggin, i got it to work , i don't know how but yes it was in safe mode . Sorry for the delay in my response.

I ran the program twice in safe mode and it seemed to correct everything until i tried to to make a system repair disk , now i get parameter is incorrect , what a nightmare lol.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 12:26:14 am »
You haven't said what you needed repairing, but use the registry backup to take you to prior the repairs and see if you can create the repair disk.

Otherwise you will need a Windows install disk for this method which works for Win 7 to Win 10.

Boot up with the install disk and select Repair your computer when you get to the splash screen.

Navigate to the Recovery Environment (RE), select Command Prompt and enter recdisc

Select the drive you want to create the disk to and you can choose whether to use a disk or USB.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:03 am »
I've tried the above on two Win 10 laptops and in each case it gave me a default drive letter of G: for my DVD drive when it is D; on one and E: on the other and I was unable to change the drive letter from the dropdown or did I get an option to choose between disk or USB.

Each failed with the error System repair disc could not be created because it couldn't find the path - error 0x80070002

I put the install disk back in and performed an offboot sfc /scannow which came up clean, so I opened the disk drawer, closed the cmd prompt and restarted.

I then went into Disk Management and changed the DVD drive letter to G: but got the same error.

I was able to create another system repair disk within Windows and when I booted up with that, I also got the same error, but this time it saw the DVD drive as drive F:

I did come across a fix article for Win 7 through Google, but was loathe to start messing with the registry as everything else is working.

I have yet to try the recdisc cmd on a Win 7 laptop.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:41:13 am »
It seems i get the "parameter is incorrect " message because i deleted the "recovery" part of the new image i created which came from the recovery option in advanced system settings .  This is a new computer and did not come with a windows 7 installation disc .  It just came with a "restore factory image" option in advanced system settings.

I thought a "parameter is incorrect" message was to mean the whole installation had to be scrapped but sfc/scannow & chkdsk come back clean so maybe it's no big deal.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 02:44:06 pm »
If you don't mind backing up your personal stuff, factory resetting, reinstalling programs etc. and Windows Updates, I'd say a factory reset was probably your best option.

As it's a new OEM computer, you should create a set of recovery disks which will be a copy of the recovery partition and boot up into the BIOS to change the Boot order to that of CD/DVD and USB drives before the SSD/HDD.

As for the recdisc cmd, I wonder if it will execute when you boot up into the advanced boot options and select Repair your computer - that will take you to the Recovery Environment where you can select Command Prompt.

I haven't tried that yet on my laptops (as I've only just thought of it :) ).

BTW - what was wrong that you needed to run WR ?