Author Topic: Repair  (Read 22318 times)

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
Repair
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:46:19 am »
Have gone through your items in Windows repair, - however repair won't start. Question: When choosing the item "start in safe mode", should it close down and restart from that menu? It does not and when I restart the PC manually I get into the same mode, which is why I guess the repair does not start. What can I do to get past this point? Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:12:05 am »
When you use the program to boot into Safe Mode, it does just that and you have to manually start the program as you would in normal mode.

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:12 am »
Hi,

May be I was not clear enough: When Tweaking" ask me to start in safe condition with networking, I agree, and the program asks whether I want to do it now. When I agree, and push the button, Tweaking disappears from the screen, however the PC does nada, no restart, no nothing.

If I reboot myself manually, all the programs are reloaded as usual, but that is probably not what you want?

When I ask for back up, nothing happens. When I go to Repair, it starts, but after 3 tries, it ask me to start in safe condition.

Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:27:31 am »
When you use the program to boot into Safe Mode, it will close all programs and then reboot into Safe Mode with Networking where you would start the program manually.

From what you say, it isn't booting you into Safe Mode ?

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking manually ?

Which version of Windows are you using ?

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:21:25 pm »
It is not booting. When I say yes to boot and push the button, the Tweaking window closes, and that is it. Nothing more happens.
I am not able to boot manually into safe mode. I am not able to find an earlier build, as my windows 10 says: "I cannot use this function because control of user account is set to always advise me of changes to the system". I don't know whether or where I can change this setting.

Another thing which has come up lately, is that I cannot run an .exe file, without having the program on my PC. I must look into my apps or call at the windows store, in order to find one that matches my download, which of course I not always can't. Pretty silly.

All in all: My Windows 10 is rotten!

Looking forward to your good advice. Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 03:10:41 pm »
The User Account Control (UAC) is there for a reason.

How are you trying to manually boot into Safe Mode with Networking ?

Can you right click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) - accept the UAC and type sfc /scannow then press enter to see what it reports.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:16:08 pm by Boggin »

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:27 am »
When I do this I get a message saying (my translation from danish): "This file has no association in order to carry out the action. Install a program or if you have a program then make an association under standard programs."

The problem is, I don't know which program to associate with, and as previously mentioned, this goes for new and downloaded .exe files as well.

Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 02:27:01 am »
Let's see if this will work -

Go Start - click on the Settings cog - System - Default apps - scroll down and hit the Reset button and then try the Command Prompt (Admin) again.

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:15 am »
I have done as requested, but with the same result, sorry. Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 08:18:55 am »
See if this File Association Fixer program will do it for you - I suggest you check all of the boxes but create a restore point first before downloading/running it.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/file-association-fixer-2-windows-10-8-7

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 09:18:18 am »
Have downloaded it but cannot start the .exe file as my pc has no file association for that program. Only for programs already installed, it seems.
So it's a catch 22 situation.
brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:54:38 pm »
I wonder if you'll be able to do a repair install....

Hit the Download tool now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 after reading the section for creating installation media and see if you can create an install disk.

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 01:09:07 am »
I cannot run the .exe file as there is no association. I have tried Windows Store, but it cannot be found there.

Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 03:32:31 am »
I've asked to see if someone knows of a workaround for this, but I think the only way out would be a custom install, but you would still need access to another Windows machine to create the bootable media.

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 11:13:24 am »
I have the license for windows 10 home. Could I download an installation from MS and install? Is it possible to cancel the Window files on my PC and reinstall Windows 10?
When I installed Windows 10 (upgrade from Windows 7) I made a rescue-disc with and ISO-file. Do you think I can load that, - and how do such a thing work?
Does it work like a normal Windows installation?
Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 02:27:59 pm »
There are three types "disk" you can create to help recover Win 10.

One is the System Repair Disk much like what you would/should have created when you had Win 7 which will get you to the Recovery Environment when you boot up with it, a second is an install disk created with the MCT and can be downloaded from the link I've posted and finally a Recovery USB but that can be between 8 and 16GB.

I've never created or used a Recovery USB.

You have already tried to download the ISO but the .exe got in the way.

Depending upon when you upgraded to Win 10 will depend on the ISO you got.

If it was pre-Aug. last year then it will be for 1511 and after Aug. it will be the current 1607 so I don't really know what type of disk you have created.

But to use either you would need to change the boot order.

You'll be able to get into the BIOS without any .exe getting in the way by pressing and holding F2 throughout a Restart until the BIOS comes up.

Use your cursor keys to navigate to the Boot tab and again to select ODD (CD/DVD drive) then use F5 or F6 to move that to the top of the list.

Insert the disk and press F10 - confirm then press any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted.

You'll have to go through the motions with it to let me know what you get.

If you end up with a splash screen where you have the option to Install or Repair your computer, then select the Repair.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:30:45 pm by Boggin »

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 01:48:22 am »
Thanks a lot for your advices. Will let you know, when I have performed the actions. Hopefully I will succeed! http://www.tweaking.com/forums/Smileys/smillhey/undecided.png

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 08:57:18 am »
When I got to repair the fun stopped. It said something about lack of files in order to perform a repair.
I have tried to start the PC in fail/safe condition.It made no difference, while standarddrivers and standardsetup apparently was ok.
I guess I have to reinstall Windows 10 (without deleting my files). If I do that, where should I tick a box in order to avoid this mess, where I don't have a build from where I can start again? When I try to start from a build, Windows says (in my translation): You cannot use this option because control of user account is set to always inform you  of changes to your system.
I have a backup of my C: partition from sep16, i.e. as far as I remember before my troubles began. If I restore my C: with the backup, do you think it will work
without problems? I mean does it "repair" the registry-problems?
Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 09:10:43 am »
Yes, I'd try that back up as your system will then be as is when you made the back up.

You will need to reinstall anything you have installed since that date of course and it will invoke Windows Update, but hopefully they won't have the same effect this time around.

If the back up is on an external HDD then it would be best to boot up with a system repair disk so that you avoid going through Windows.

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 11:14:28 am »
Thanks, I will try that next week. I hope the exe files will work. I have the backup on an external HDD.
Will advise you of the results. Brgds, - and thanks a lot for all your prompt answers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 03:51:37 pm »
Were you still on v1511 then ?

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 02:04:24 am »
Well, - I think W10 was updated during december16. I have 1607 now.
Also I don't know whether my backup will restore my C:. I guess this will require an .exe file too. We will see tomorrow.
Brgds

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 02:48:51 am »
When you boot up with a system repair disk, you are booting up outside of Windows and while you would get the same options through Settings/Recovery, the repair disk should have everything on it or you to use the image to restore with - at least that is my understanding.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 03:45:30 am »
I was going through a Wordpad Doc. looking for something else where I store useful URLs and came across the following for resolving File Association problems.

I've had it a while so not sure if it will also serve Win 10, but you could create a restore point first or use Windows Repair program to do a registry back up.

I'm not sure why you need to run Notepad as an admin though.

Re: this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this act
Your problem relates to file associations. If you go to all programs accessories and right click on notepad select "run as administrator" it should open.

Copy all below into notepad then in notepad menu select "File" then "save as" in the box make sure "all files" is selected(drop down) and call it Exe.reg save to desktop. Locate the file and double click it, agree to add to registry. Restart computer. (this returns to defaults and is perfectly safe)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
  00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
  32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
  00,2c,00,2d,00,31,00,30,00,31,00,35,00,36,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser]
@="@shell32.dll,-50944"
"Extended"=""
"SuppressionPolicyEx"="{F211AA05-D4DF-4370-A2A0-9F19C09756A7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{ea72d00e-4960-42fa-ba92-7792a7944c1d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
@="Compatibility"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Compatibility]
@="{1d27f844-3a1f-4410-85ac-14651078412d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.exe]
"FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.FileDescription;System.ItemTypeText;System.FileVersion;System.Software.ProductName;System.Software.ProductVersion;System.Copyright;*System.Category;*System.Comment;System.Size;System.DateModified;System.Language;*System.Trademarks;*System.OriginalFileName"
"InfoTip"="prop:System.FileDescription;System.Company;System.FileVersion;System.DateCreated;System.Size"
"TileInfo"="prop:System.FileDescription;System.Company;System.FileVersion;System.DateCreated;System.Size"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
"exefile"=hex(0):

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

Offline erlingstar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 09:02:46 am »
When I did that I got the following message (in my translation): Exe.reg cannot be imported. Said file is not a registry database script. You can only import "binare" (?)registry database files from registry editor, -- i.e. as I understand it only in 0's or 1's.

Back to the good old drawing table again!

Brgds