Author Topic: A decompression error has occurred (#5) Could not open output file  (Read 12388 times)

Offline passacaglia

• View Profile
The subject description appears when installing Windows Repair  -  Retry does not work, Ignore continues with the installation but when the first program screen is shown it vanishes and nothing else happens. Is this a problem with my PC or with the program installation (from Major Geeks).
My PC:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5Vx7ukTJwDjv527tQkLhJJe

Any help sent to my email is greatly appreciated.

passacaglia

Offline satrow

• View Profile
Re: A decompression error has occurred (#5) Could not open output file
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 06:23:13 am »
I see at least 4 3rd party Security software/Services running, any one of them might be playing some part in interfering with the installation. Try installing it from Safe Mode?

Offline passacaglia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:17:30 am »
Thank you Satrow. That worked. But, does that mean that on any occasion I launch Systweak Windows Repair I have to do it from safe mode? Or do I have a bug that has to be eliminated? FYI I have had the same 3rd party security software since I installed Windows Repair (about 8 months) and it never gave a problem. Any ideas?

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:32:08 am »
Check the security software logs/quarantines, there might be clues there? Same with Windows Reliability Reports.

Difficult to know what to advise, obviously *something* has changed over that time period so perhaps run full scans individually with each security software and check their logs to try to determine which one it might be causing the block?

Simply by running the scans, it might allow deeper checks to be made by the security software, perhaps by uploading anything 'suspect' to the cloud for checks. It's possible that the block was triggered solely on the location used to store temporary installer files and the scans will all come back clean.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:39:21 pm »
It could just be a bad definitions update.

Not so long ago Norton Security would kick out the WR .exe and even removed the desktop icon.

It wouldn't let me install it and even after installing in Safe Mode, it would do the same after rebooting to normal mode.

I had to have it white listed for a while.

I use the free MBAM 3.0.6 but don't have the anti exploit version.

Offline passacaglia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:40:50 pm »
I ran Bitdefender Total Security 2017 in Rescue Mode. It found an infected file and solved it. Since then Systweak works. But I wonder why when I ran a System Scan with the same program it found nothing and said my PC was clean. I guess I'll run Windows Repair once a week during the next few weeks to make sure the problem went away. Thank you guys for all your help!!!