Author Topic: [SOLVED]Realtek Audio Driver  (Read 10601 times)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
[SOLVED]Realtek Audio Driver
« on: February 24, 2017, 04:40:37 pm »
Hello All, I bought a new desktop early part of last year which came with W10 installed. It only has three sound connections, these being pink for mic, green for speakers and a blue one. I have a Cambridge DTT 2020 sound system with 5.1 speaker units. There are three sound input leads on the sub woofer  unit, one for Speakers front, one for speakers rear and one for the sub woofer. The computer came with a Realtek audio driver which would have allowed me to reconfigure the rear mic socket and the rear blue sockets for the rear speakers and the sub woofer unit. I think it was the install of the W10 anniversary update that caused the driver to be replaced with the Microsoft HD audio driver and this will not allow me to reconfigure the two audio connections. Is it possible to replace the MS HD audio driver with the Realtek audio driver on the MSI disc that came with the computer. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:23:15 pm by as1953 »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Realtek Audio Driver
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:28:21 am »
Open the Realtek UI,  and in the speaker tab, you have to check "Speaker fill" to enable the rear speakers.

NB In windows 10 this will be "Full-range Speakers"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:12:19 pm by Samson, Reason: additionnal info »

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:14:44 am »
Hello Samson, I do not have that function on the computer. I am assuming it is part of the Realtek driver functions but that driver was replaced by the Microsoft HD Audio driver automatically by the W10 anniversary update.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:17:08 am »
Open Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and expand Sound, video and game controllers.

If your Realtek adapter is still listed, right click on it and select Update Driver Software > Browse my computer > Let me pick....

In the ensuing window should list both the MS and the Realtek drivers.

Click on the Realtek one then on Next where it will install and then see if you can do what you want to do.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 06:29:49 am »
This all it shows, Samson. I also ran Speccy and that did not show anything to do with Realtek.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 06:44:15 am »
Are you sure you had Realtek sound.

While I can understand MS installing its own adapter, I doubt it would be able to swap a Realtek for a Nvdia one.

Go Start - type msinfo32 and press enter - expand Components then click on Sound to see which hardware is installed.

Going back to my last post regarding installing the Realtek adapter, do that for the MS one and then the Nvidia one to see if either has a Realtek driver in the list.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:27:17 am »
Samson, the problem is that I bought the new computer, a CYBERPOWER - Gaming Empire Elite II Gaming PC in April last year and did not bother to check on connecting the 5.1 Sound System to it and in fact left it in my den untouched as I was using my laptop. It was only last week I decided to use it more that I discovered the problem of connecting it up. I did contact CyberPower who told me to install the Realtek driver on the discs that came with the computer but Googling similar problems of other users it appears that Microsoft keeps uninstalling the Realtek driver and re-installing the MS HD Audio driver.. For the length of time I was setting up the computer I just used a pair of headphones and did not at that time think about the Speaker side. Although the computer is a basic gaming machine I bought if for graphic work and as the laptop was purchased in December 2015 and I had installed graphic software on it I just kept kept using that.  Anyway, I do not know how to install the Realtek driver so perhaps I should just purchase a sound system that can be used as is. :undecided:

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:24:42 am »
The Nvidia one is most likely for HDMI output.

Try Boggin's suggestion for updating the other one and selecting realtek drivers if they are listed.

Edit
CYBERPOWERPC driver support here http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/support/
The Realtek link takes you to version R2.81 released 13th January this year
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:03:35 pm by Samson »

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:37 am »
Hello Samson, thanks for the link. I have just now downloaded the 64 bit version of Rs.81.
Here is an extract of one of the emails I received from CyberPower:

"It’s the realtek software you need to install.

The Nvidia card has an HDMI passthrough, which is digital not analog.

The capacity of it is passing through whatever you are playing (ie 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc…) in a digital stream.

Nvidia and realtek are separate hardware pieces, so the drivers shouldn’t interact with each other."

I explained to them that Device Manager does not show any RealTek information or links.

Thanks. Bill

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »
I have now installed the Realtek R2.81 driver which now shows in device manager. I do not know how to retask connectors. Do I for instance plug the subwoofer cable from the sound system into the blue ( line in by default) socket on the back of computer, and click on the retask connector on the visual display panel of the Realtek gui ?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
Not the clearest of videos, but this should get you there. You may want to watch & repeat it a few times  :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlY_7GCsbtg

Good luck.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 05:38:08 pm »
OK thanks Samson. I have also contacted CyberPower to find out exactly I can utilse the Mic and Line in to connect the sound system sub woofer and rear speakers .

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 12:17:54 am »
The video shows how you do exactly that  :wink:

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
RESOLVED Re: Realtek Audio Driver
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 12:26:16 am »
Hello Samson, yes I downloaded the video and found another one so will go ahead. I shall deem the subject resolved. Thanks, Bill