Author Topic: Win 10 Backup Registry - VSS - Restore Task Bar Screwed-up  (Read 5970 times)

Offline JoeGus7

• View Profile
Win 10 Backup Registry - VSS - Restore Task Bar Screwed-up
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »
When I do a Win 10 VSS registry backup & restore using the tweaking.com program, my task bar gets screwed-up so that some of my hidden icons that should ALL be in the little square box are displayed ON the taskbar  after I do the restore. 

I tried doing the restore in Safe Mode & got the same display on the taskbar.  When I restore using the Windows Recovery Console, the taskbar appears as it should with all of the hidden icons INSIDE of the little box on the taskbar.   

How do I inform tweaking.com of this bug?  I am sure that the developers would like to know how the restore works and doesn't work.

I can live with the problem, but I don't know if there are other registry items that are not being backed-up and restored properly. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:04:02 am by JoeGus7, Reason: I had wrong information. »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Backup Registry - VSS - Restore Task Bar Screwed-up
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:23:57 am »
I'll pass it on.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:42:39 pm »
I am wondering if this has something to selecting Unhide Nonsystem files. I suspect if yo do not select that option you would be fine.

Offline JoeGus7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 04:42:44 am »
Nice try.  All my hidden icons were actually hidden before I installed tweaking.com registry back-up.  Then in Win10 tweaking.com, I do a registry backup and then I do in Win10, a registry restore with the so called hidden icons clustered around the little taskbar box that should hold them.  Then I restart Win 10 and do another tweaking.com registry restore.  Guess what - three of my five so called hidden icons are clustered around the little box on the taskbar.  This is the same as before I re-started Win 10 after doing the registry restore. 

So then because I do not like to backup anything in the entire Win 10 operating system while I am actually in Win 10 - I put the Win System Repair disk into my CD drive; got my BIOS (which of course is not a BIOS anymore) to boot from the CD drive; and finally was in the (what tweaking.com calls), the Windows Recovery Console.  Then I am in DOS, ie the 25 year old operating system that Microsoft stole from the genius that created DOS. 

So now using DOS commands, I restore the registry that I just back-up maybe 3 hours before.  So I take the recovery CD out of my CD player and re-boot Win 10.  Guess what - all the hidden icons should be hidden in that little box on the taskbar, are where they should be. 

I thank you for your concern, but I think tweaking.com should have a way to report obvious bugs.  The problem here is that every little stinking problem would be reported to tweaking.com.  I would have the administrator of this forum review on a daily basis and report anything that could be a programming bug to tweaking.com.

I just joined this forum a few days ago and think that is like the blind leading the blind.  (I am 70 years old and just love to use expressions that are 60 - 70 years old). 

I looked at another post on this forum from a user who had been using this web site for 2 years and had a problem that should actually work,  I think the whole problem is Win 10.  You know that we are just doing the Beta testing on Win 10.  For me I always do a complete backup of my C drive using Macrium Reflect before ever installing any new software.   

This is the second time I am trying to do  backup-restore of the registry.  So I have tried 3.5.2 & 3.5.3.  Maybe when the next revision comes out, tweaking.com will get its act together.  So don't stay up late at night trying to resolve my problem.  I will continue to monitor this post to see if I have overlooked some item, but I doubt it. 

Thanks for your concern.

Offline JoeGus7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 12:18:41 pm »
This problem with doing a tweaking.com registry restore from my desktop in Win 10 has been completely fixed.  All of the hidden icons on the taskbar remain hidden after the registry restore. 

The bug fix was done in a very timely manner - problem submitted Mar 17; problem fixed Mar 22.

Good Job!!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 01:53:05 pm »
Glad to see that you were able to get it sorted.