Author Topic: problems with tweaks  (Read 7275 times)

Offline fjjr

• View Profile
problems with tweaks
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:02:06 am »
When I recently ran windows repair, I selected a tweak to add open with notepad to the file context menu of my XP machine.  Unfortunately, it has not achieved that aim, and also, each time when I reboot,  I get 3 instances of notepad open with no content, which are only a nuisance to have to close again, but it appears that something has gone wrong.  Can you please advise:
1.   How to achieve the intended result
2.   How to fix the opening of unwanted instances of notepad; and
3.   How to reverse a tweak if need be (simply run the tweak think again but with that particular tweak deselected?)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: problems with tweaks
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:24 pm »
I've passed this on.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:28:32 am »
- Are you on a non-english XP system ?

- When Windows Repair (WR) is run then it resets a number of "Open with ........... " associations (Repair #23).
- Solution ?? Try the following: Put that tweak in a *.bat or *.reg file and run that file after you've run WR.
- The WR PRO version allows the user to automatically run those tweaks after WR has done its job.

(Make a backup of the registry because those associations are stored in the registry).

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:28:00 pm »
OK - I;ve never heard of this one before, but hey... Every day brings something new.

1st. The rg tweak for notepad is is a pretty simple one, but instead of  me typing it out. Here;s a good article on how to do it manually.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-open-with-notepad-to-the-context-menu-for-all-files/

Is the correct entry there?

After that clikc start >> Run >> and type msconfig in the box. Then enter.  Click the startup tab. Anything in there say noetpad?

Offline fjjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 12:57:21 pm »
Thanks Willy2.  It is an English version, I believe.

Thanks jpm.  Eventually I found the entry in the context menu inserted by windows repair - it was entitled "open", and I had not found it before because it was not present in the context menu of a .reg file, although I did find it in the context menu of a .rtf file.  I also created my another entry following the instructions you referred me to, and that did cause Open with Notepad, as I had named the key, to appear in the context menu.  The only difference between the key created by windows repair and the key I created manually so far as I could see was that I had named the subkey "Command", whereas that in the key created by windows repair was named "command".  I noticed that I was unable to change the name of either key only by changing the case from upper to lower, or vice versa, but on trying to do so got a message that the registry editor could not rename it  because a key of the name chosen already existed.  This suggested that the naming is not case sensitive, and so I can only wonder why the entry made by windows repair would not appear in the context menu of a .reg file.

I will send some images.

Offline fjjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 01:31:04 pm »
Ps  I should have added that there are no startups shown in msconfig for notepad.  I can find no startups for notepad in startup organiser by MetaProducts.  There are no links in any startup folder - see uploaded everything search.  I do note that there is a copy of notepad.exe in both C:\windows and C:\windows\system32.  I do not know why that should be, but see no reason why it should cause the program to run on startup.  Any ideas why Notepad opens automatically when I reboot?

Is there any way to reverse any of the tweaks in Windows Repair? 

Incidentally, I do have the pro version.

Offline fjjr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 07:13:55 am »
Pps 
I have rebooted and no longer get notepad opening on bootup, so I think that deleting the registry entry that windows repair created fixed the problem, and that the new manually created registry key does not cause notepad to open on bootup.  Curious - I have no idea why the tweaking created key should have had that effect, since it was the same as the one I created except in the respects that I mentioned above.

I would be interested in any light anyone can shine on this, and also how one can use windows repair to reverse a tweak that it has created.