Author Topic: Win 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate - ATI HD5770 display adapter uninstall >> BSOD  (Read 4982 times)

Offline ttiihone

• View Profile
Hi all.

I have an Ati Radeon HD5770 display adapter that I have been trying to uninstall in order to reinstall it fresh, since the current installation has got corrupted.

Every time when I try to uninstall it, it eventually goes to BSOD. I have tried uninstalling it in Safe Mode but the result is the same.

Then when I have used AMD UNINSTALLER (or whatever the name was) to completely uninstall all AMD services, then the display drivers also get uninstalled but it also uninstalls some other AMD software that at some extent screw up some parts of my Windows installation.

Also, no matter what uninstallation method I use, then when trying to reinstall the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER ie the display drivers, then they will NOT get installed at all. It says that "installation succesful" but all the earlier times that I have installed these drivers it immediately kind of updates my view (I have 2 displays connected to my display adapter) so that I immediately have both my displays enabled without the reboot (they show kind of an extended desktop view, so that my complete resolution is 3840X1280).

But now even after reboot, the graphics do not work and Catalyst Control Center is unavailable, so the driver installation is not successful.

I have also tried manually removing all the possible entries of ATI RADEON from Registry and from C: and D: drives (I have my user account re-mapped to D:\Users\Tommi because it's a lot faster RAID 0 hard drive).

Whatever I have tried, it seems like the eralier driver uninstallation is "somewhat" successful since Device Manager shows only Generic Display Driver but still I am unable to reinstall the correct drivers. If I select from Device Manager to Scan For Hardware Updates, it finds the ATI HD5770 adapter and sometimes even seems to be able to install it automatically using Windows Update database, but drivers still are NOT REALLY INSTALLED since the Device Manager shows now HD 5770 under Graphics/Display but it has an exclamation mark or something like that in the adapter name.

Now trying to uninstall it from there and selecting "delete the drivers etc..." doesn't help. I have tried pretty much everything but AMD display drivers seem to be hidden and partially remain installed since the reinstallation never goes successfully through. So I have had to restore my working installation from my Acronis backup vault.

I'm pretty much done trying now myself, since I'm bored to ALWAYS having to restore my PC from backup and waiting for tens of minutes and starting all over again.

So do any of You gurus have a working and kind of an "ultimate" way to COMPLETELY UNINSTALL MY ATI RADEON HD5770 display drivers first without getting BSOD and being able to reinstall the newest drivers?

Thanks for any help!!

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Win 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate - ATI HD5770 display adapter uninstall >> BSOD
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 04:58:46 am »
This program has always done the job for me YMMV

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/display_driver_uninstaller.html

Offline ttiihone

• View Profile
Re: Win 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate - ATI HD5770 display adapter uninstall >> BSOD
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:11:33 am »
THANKS!! I'll try that!!! \m/