Author Topic: Help! Cannot start up after running windows repair  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Marklim

• View Profile
Help! Cannot start up after running windows repair
« on: May 05, 2017, 04:50:21 am »
Need some help here, after running the free scans and proceeding to repairs, my laptop running on windows 8 is stucked at the automatic repair screen which pops out the message automatic repair couldnt repair your pc, i proceeded to try all options available such as exiting and continuing to windows 8, tried system restore, refreshing my PC, cant even get it to boot in safe mode, my last resort is to reset the whole pc and lose all my files but i hope some kind souls can help advise how i can avoid that. I remember i did tick the backup registry option if that helps but i am not aware how to do a restore on it since my normal system restore doesnt work as there is no restore point found.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Cannot start up after running windows repair
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 05:19:21 am »
What was the reason why you ran the Windows Repair program ?

Does CTRL+ALT+DEL give you access to open Task Manager ?

If it does then click on File/Run new task and enter cmd.exe

Tick the box to run the task as an admin - press enter and see what this cmd reports -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

If that reports the volume is repairable then enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and follow that with sfc /scannow

You can also enter fsutil dirty query to see what that reports.

A dirty result will need a chkdsk c: /r

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot to see if there's any change, but to use the registry restore option (not restore point) in the program, it needs to be open to access Option 5.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:04:03 am by Boggin »