Author Topic: Creators Update Booting Problems  (Read 6514 times)

Offline fake dona sarkar

• View Profile
Creators Update Booting Problems
« on: May 06, 2017, 12:04:36 am »
I bought a brand new Dell yesterday, with Redstone 1 AU 14393.
Updated it to Redstone 2 Creators Update 15063.250.
Kept entire computer virgin. No web browsing. Use a mac.

Booting problems.
Won't turn on from sleep mode, must use power button.
Very slow reboot time.
No F Key commands work on startup.
Screen remains black, when attempting to go into UEFI Firmware Settings and Bios.
Unable to Reset this PC, Remove everything, screen stays black, must re power to end attempt.
Tweaking 3.9.39 is unable to go into Safe Mode, stays black, must re power to end attempt.

I doubt Patch Tuesday, will help.

You saved me with 10240 Start Menu mess. 
Redstone 1 made that computer never power again.
Thank you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Creators Update Booting Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 02:20:02 am »
Event Viewer may have something recorded but I'd go into the advanced boot options by pressing and holding Shift through a Restart and select the Roll back option.

You have a 10 day period to roll back to 1607 14393.

Microsoft have withdrawn the Creators update from Windows Update and advise not to manually update for the moment as it is causing problems for those with Bluetooth devices.

It's also causing other problems for others as well.

Should you not have a Win 10 ISO for your 1607 14393, you can download the ISO from http://windowsiso.net/

Hover over Win 10 ISO in the top menu then hover over AU 1607 and select Standard where you can download the 32 or 64 bit version.

Select Save and you can then use Windows own USB/DVD Burner Tool to create bootable media of your choice.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

If you ever need to get into the BIOS to change the boot order, press and hold F2 through a restart.

As you probably have a UEFI BIOS you will need disable Secure Boot to boot with an USB as well as going into Power Options - Choose what closing the lid does - Changes settings that are currently unavailable and uncheck fast start.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:58:30 am by Boggin »

Offline fake dona sarkar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:03:25 pm »
F2 being held on Restart, sends you to login Password.

All "Choose an option" Result in stalled black screen.
To fix, Power Off, hold power button, Power On to recover and find login to Password.
ONLY, Continue Exit and continue to Windows 10, is the only command that works.

Every OTHER option command choice, stalls to a black screen:
Use a device: IPV4 & IPV6.
Troubleshoot: Reset this PC/Keep my files & Remover everything.
Factory Image Restore.
Advanced options:
System Restore.
System Image Recovery
Startup Repair
Command Prompt
UEFI Firmware Settings
Startup Settings
See more recovery options/Go back to the previous version.

So much for my lucky 10 days.
The next course is to wait out till Patch Tuesday the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 10AM Pacific.
I'm not expecting a Microsoft fix, this month or the following months.
Microsoft will just wait till the next Build, like past history.

What an unusual good problem to have, I have money, but can't purchase a brand new Windows computer that works.

My last 10586 worked perfect till it took the 14393 Build. Reboot gave me Blue Screen of Death, fixed 3 times, fourth no power,
HD & Power Supply fine, likely $300 Motherboard failure from Build.
I then bought two brand new 10586's last year, hoping they would be 14393's, after the 14393 Build broke my perfect 10586.
One had no power, DOA. The second, Blue Screen of Death on first reboot.
By going into the UEFI Firmware Settings you can see the date Microsoft assembled it.
The newly purchased 10586's had a Bios Date from after the Anniversary Update, old stock, sent from Microsoft, with an old Build.
I double checked and had the store show me the date, their shipment was first received at the 1st warehouse, it also had a date after the AU.
The only way to see what Build your buying, is Buy & Power on.
I had was shut down & had to wait 8 months, to find the 14393 on store shelves, as Purchasing is a quarter behind. For me 3 quarters.
Quite a long wait to buy my third out of the box failure, and my 2nd Windows destroyed by a Build.
I saw the Creators Update listed as an Update yesterday 5/5/17.

Shane you need to be getting a per denim/per event paycheck from Microsoft, for each occurrence you & your site find, doing their Beta Test work. If not Shane, call 1-800-MICROSOFT. Contact me and I'll tell you what you have to do, its a long road, of abuse.
I love Tweaking, you fixed my 10240 start menu. Stupid me waited 3 months for Microsoft to fix. I realized not til the next build, I turned to Shane.
My 8.1 was destroyed by an update, but fixed by Microsoft, for my time the gave me a free PK.
Now calling 1-800-MICROSOFT, HP & Dell, is a abusive fight, fighting with a foreigner who pretends they understand English, but does not, hates North American Whites, Black, & Hispanics, then when you get to Level 2, no more freebies like before.

Be carefully everybody.
Thanks for your help. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:10:27 pm »
You certainly seem to be having more than your share of bad luck with computers.

As it came with Win 10 preinstalled it should have supported the 1703 update.

I'd take it back under warranty and don't tell them you had manually updated it to 1703.

Pressing and holding F2 through a restart gets you to the BIOS.

Pressing Shift throughout a restart gets you into the advanced boot options - click on Troubleshoot and then on Advanced where you should see the roll back to previous build option.

Offline fake dona sarkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:16:04 pm »
Bad luck, can't be just me?
I'll see what happens this Patch Tuesday. I'm sure nothing will change.

I buy all Windows computers, at Costco. They are the only store that gives 2 year warranties, and 90 days to return, with no questions asked.
HP Case Manager's hate this, they tried to trick me, telling me I only had a 1 year warranty. I said wow I'd love to buy one of them computers with a 2 year warranty, could you please tell me who does that, answer Costco. He hung up one me, then you call Costco Concierge.

So, appears I need to swap the Dell for another one.
Then have to stay on 14393, till Redstone 3, this Fall.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 12:15:35 am »
You're probably better off on 1607 14393 for the moment and you could still get 1703 through Windows Update when MS release it again.

I wish I could roll this one back but thinking it was running okay, I did a disk cleanup and removed the Windows.old folder.

It wasn't until after that I found a chkdsk /f wouldn't run after the reboot - and Google is awash with others complaining about this and I've found that a restart puts a Code 45 on my Ethernet adapter, giving This device is not connected to the computer and needs to be installed.

I was running the elevated cmd netcfg -d to reinstate it but have since found that a further restart puts it back to This device is working properly.

However, because of this I have to manually enable wireless to get connectivity in Safe Mode with Networking.

As things stand, the only way I can get back to 1607 would be with a clean install and I have no fancy for reinstalling programs etc.