Author Topic: Windows Repair - Security Setting on ReParse points  (Read 4969 times)

Offline RayG

• View Profile
Windows Repair - Security Setting on ReParse points
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:42:23 am »
Hi, I had an issue with DISM not being able to repair corrunption (which seems to affect quite a few people on the Win10 x64 Creators Update). I downloaded and ran the repair program and looked at the results from option 2 Packages/reparse points/environment variables. It listed quite a few reparse points that were "Incorrect/Missing" and when it did the repair I noticed that it was also cahnging the security settings and it seems that I have shortcuts to directories I cannot access because you have set Everyone to Deny. Is this correct or has the setting been done incorrectly?

Fixing the reparse points did resolve DISM not working and a package that was shown as incorrect is now fixed. Both SFC and DISM now work OK.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair - Security Setting on ReParse points
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:52:41 am »
Is this after using 3.9.30 ?

Offline RayG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:08:31 am »
Yes it was

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:08:56 pm »
Try running the main repairs again - it can take a couple of runs for the first lot to take effect.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:34:42 pm by Boggin »

Offline RayG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 05:49:02 am »
I decided in the end to revert to a previous backup and take a look more closely at what the product did. I tried doing things more slowly and I think I discovered what may have been happening there was a directory that should not have been where it was, that I think was adding to the confusion. Now without even running the windows repair tool I have SFC and DISM both working as they should be and the corruption I had, has been repaired.

That said all the re-parse points you create are just not present on the current WIN10 builds so I wonder why you create them in the first place. They may have been there on older Windows versions but are not required now. Should Windows repair be more observant of which windows version it is attempting to repair? It makes me wonder what would have happened if I had gone onto look at the registry bits and what would have perhaps been done that was not required or at worst incorrect.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 07:31:55 am »
That's Win 10 for you.

Since I upgraded to Win 10 1703 I get a Package being snagged but just ignore it.

No Reparse Points or Environment Variables listed for repair though.