Author Topic: Loading Variables Get Stuck @76%  (Read 20395 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Variables Get Stuck @76%
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 01:03:11 am »
You haven't said if you have tried loading the program in Safe Mode with Networking yet.

If this machine came with Win 7 pre-installed then I would back up all personal stuff, make a note of the product keys for any paid for software and the programs to reinstall and factory reset the machine.

Offline oao

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 10:19:29 am »
No, it is not an option. This laptop works with a USB keyboard because the original keyboard stopped working and there was no way to repair it. Consequently I cannot get into BIOS and I cannot select options on the boot menu because I have no access to the keyboard during boot. Neither is reinstalling Windows or restoring from backup for the same reason. It is a backup machine that I keep for emergencies if my main Win10 computer becomes unusable because of the MS shenanigans with Windows updates and I keep both of them in sync.

This is why I need to be able to fix problems from within Windows. Given that SFC scan does not find any problems, if your program gets stuck while loading variables and then does not unload when dismissed, you should be able to figure out why.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 02:30:23 pm »
The next best thing to booting up into Safe Mode is to perform a clean boot which may or not isolate your antivirus program and then see if the repair program will load.

However, you can still get into Safe Mode with Networking through msconfig which you would also use to perform a clean boot.

To boot into Safe Mode using msconfig - go Start - type msconfig and press enter then under the Boot tab check the boxes for Safe boot and Network - Apply - OK - Restart

To boot normally then go back into msconfig, uncheck the box for Network and then Safe boot - Apply - OK - Restart.

Which antivirus program are you using ?

You can try a repair install which is done from within Windows, but I'll ask Shane if he has any ideas as to why the program should stop loading at 76% when loading the Variables.

You've said you've run a chkdsk - was that in read-only mode, a chkdsk /f or /r and did you notice if it reported any KBs in bad sectors ?

To perform a repair install you need an install disk that includes SP1 and the COA sticker key if it's still legible.

If you don't have such a disk then I can burn you a couple which will cover up to Pro.

PM me with your address if you're interested.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:44:01 pm by Boggin »

Offline oao

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 02:55:45 pm »
Thanks for your help.

I have concluded that the effort takes has taken too much of my time. So I will keep the system as is and only use it temporarily in emergencies if my main system becomes unusable. Makes more sense given the state of the hardware. An inexpensive new system to customize to my preferences and optimize from scratch is probably time better spent.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »
Well go into msconfig and boot into Safe Mode with Networking to see if it will load past 76% - won't take long.

I've emailed Shane about your problem and a link to your thread.

You didn't answer as to whether the chkdsk reported any KBs in bad sectors.

Offline oao

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 03:43:10 pm »
No, no errors from CHKDSK.

I do have an image of the system partition made with macrium, the problem is the keyboard--I cannot go into BIOS and set booting USB first because I can't press the F key. The same problem can occur if I set safe mode from MSCONFIG -- if it is not the pre-selected boot menu option, I cannot select it myself and it'll still boot Windows.

If I could get into BIOS I could configure to boot from USB, boot from the Macrium recovery disc and restore from backup.
But AFAIK that is not possible.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 04:25:30 pm »
Yes, but the USB ports work in Safe Mode - I use an USB wireless mouse and that works in that mode.

Offline oao

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 04:35:52 pm »
I understand, but when the system reboots does it directly go into safe boot, or does it offer me a boot menu? Because if it does the latter and I must select the safe boot option myself I gotta do it with the kb.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 12:23:21 am »
Yes, I'd forgotten that - Sorry.

It boots you into the advanced boot options and then you need to use your cursor keys to select and then press enter.

I've had a reply from Shane re the 76% hang and while it is difficult to diagnose, he's replied with -

"If it is at the "Loading Windows Variables..." point then that is where it makes calls to the system to get the variables such as all the folder paths, the current user sid, the machine ID and such.

The only thing in that whole section that does any kind of loop would be the get machine ID command. Which calls WMI first and then the WinNT command if wmi fails. Both of those have loop commands, I wonder if something is messed up on his system that is causing an error and so the loops never end.

I am making an update that I will put out tomorrow, in it I will have a command to where if the loops go over a certain amount they will stop, and we can see if that does the trick for him".

So have a look out for the new version tomorrow

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 10:07:01 am »
It sounds pretty clear that something you are running is blocking the software. 99 times out of 100 its an antivirus product. You could try to disable it or whitelist us - depending on the product.

However, if you run msconfig. Click the boot tab and click the safe boot box with the networking option and that will reboot you into safemode without the use of the keyboard.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »
I'd misread that bit earlier about msconfig and was thinking Safe Mode was being accessed via F8.