Author Topic: Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.9.35 fails at Repair stage  (Read 9508 times)

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
Hi

Attached is the Repair Log file from my first attempts at running Windows Repair v3.9.35.  As you can see, the process timed out after memory clean and before the actual repair phase started.

Are you able to suggest any solutions/actions I should take to overcome this impasse?

Many thanks

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.9.35 fails at Repair stage
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:21:56 am »
Going by your memory usage it looks like you are not running the repairs in "safe mode", which is the recommended method.

Follow all the steps, registry backup etc and then "Safe Mode".

NB See this post, re updates for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,5339.msg39229.html#new
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:38:22 am by Samson »

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:58:43 am »
Samson

Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my post so quickly.

I can confirm that I was indeed in SAFE mode when applying v3.9.35.  By way of a guide, I use a black screen backdrop with SAFE, and a pale blue screen backdrop otherwise.  I was also working in Administrator mode.

I much appreciate your pointer to updates for legacy systems, and will check them out and apply as required.

Regards

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:19:52 am »
What was the reason for running the repair program ?

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:31:45 am »
Boggin

For several months I've been experiencing frustratingly long response times on the net.  I use Firefox and Bing.  Typically after a reboot, I'll get very good response times (a second or so) with the first 6 - 12 urls.  Then response times can be measured in minutes.  Quite frequently the request just times-out.  I tried to swap between Userids, but this made no difference.  I tried IE and Google.  The same.  I have no choice but to reboot.  Just occasionally and very confusingly, I can use my system with good response time for up to 30 minutes before the problem re-appears.

I've checked line speeds (BT with BTInternet).  Downloads between 5-6Mbps, uploads between 0.5-0.6Mbps.  Good for our rural area.  I've tried various Malware products, singly and in groups.  These include my own Anti-virus Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, SAS and Spybot. With no obvious improvement using this technique, I checked the Web for "How to identify and resolve bottlenecks in XP".  That's when I cam across Tweaking.com.

Hope that helps

Peter
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:36:24 am by P7RRF, Reason: Apologies - my mistake »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 04:13:14 pm »
Can you go Start - type run and press enter then type cleanmgr in the box and press enter.

This will clean out various temp files.

If it reports a large amount to clean, that may be the problem as it is running out of swap files which can make a computer crawl.

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 04:29:37 am »
Boggin

Many thanks for your response and suggestion.  I invoked cleanmgr in Administrator mode.  This offered the report you can see in the attached Word doc.  Relative to the disk space available, I can't gauge if the original 788MB figure is a large amount to clean.  So just in case it's relevant, I included the C: drive properties in the doc file.

I've let Cleanup remove all bar the Recycle bin taking the 788MB down to 414MB.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 06:32:42 am »
I have seen a lot more than that cleaned out which prior didn't impact on performance.

What are you keeping in the Recycle Bin that you haven't included in the clean out.

As you can see from the Properties, you can also run Disk Cleanup from there which the cmd cleanmgr runs.

Have you checked to see if you get the same slow when in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Overheating first came to mind on this but recovery wouldn't have occurred so quickly after a reboot.

When you start to get the slow browsing, can you open Task Manager and under Performance look to see what the CPU and Memory usage is.

If those are high then under the Processes tab, click on Memory and that will sort to the highest usage first.

Depending upon what that is (not your browser) - right click on it and select Go to services and whichever is highlighted will be the hog.

However, have you run a chkdsk /r from the Command Prompt and when was the last time that you defragged the HDD ?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:35:43 am by Boggin »

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:17:00 am »
Boggin

Once again many thanks for your in-depth analysis.  You've provided me with much to think about, and I will go through each of your points with care, hopefully a little later in the day.

In the meantime your reference to overheating made me wonder.  Firstly, my machine has overheated in the past.  We're living in the house we are still building.  The environment is very dusty despite our attempts to restrict dust to the work area.  Seconly, I've noticed that the problem seems to be worse later in the day rather than first thing in the morning when I switch it on and leave it running.  So my first task will be a good clean!

I'll report back later.

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 03:08:02 am »
Good morning Boggin

I cleaned inside my PC this morning.  Strangely, no fluff.  Just dust that I carefully vacuumed.  Too early to see if this has improved the situation.  So in the meantime I'll work my way through the other items you identified.

Regards

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 03:13:14 am »
There is a program you can download which will show you your temps and that is the free version of HWMonitor, but as I've said, I'd discounted overheating as the cause.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Scroll down and use the SETUP • ENGLISH download link.

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 04:55:42 pm »

Thanks for the hardware monitor link.  I've downloaded and run it.  Max temp shown on any component of 38º.

For a few days starting tomorrow, we hit a busy phase in our housebuild.  I'll have very little spare time to work on this response time problem.  So it may be early next week before I can get back to you with responses to the items in your earlier list.  I'm determined to resolve this issue - and will be back!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:59 am »
That's okay and thanks for letting me know.

Quite often people open threads, we answer them and they don't come back :)

Offline P7RRF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:06 am »
Good afternoon Boggin

I've managed to find some time today to free myself from working with the builder, and catch up on a backlog of admin tasks. This has involved extensive use of the net.  For reasons that I can't comprehend, not once have I experienced a response times of more than a few seconds.  It's uncanny.  Clearly something must have happened, but I'm struggling hard to put my finger on what that might be.

Over the next few weeks I'll attempt to record any system or environmental differences that co-inicide with periods of excessive response times - should they occur!  In the meantime, it might be sensible to close this thread.  I would then open another thread should the issue re-appear.

My thanks for your kind assistance.

Best wishes

Peter

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:07:10 am by P7RRF, Reason: Omission »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 07:28:46 am »
Who knows how Windows works sometimes :)

Have you tried the repair program since it has cleared up as that was your first problem.

You can still use this thread within 30 days before it is locked due to no further replies.