Author Topic: System Error regarding missing COMCTL.dll  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
System Error regarding missing COMCTL.dll
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:33 am »
Hi,
First post here. You have a very friendly site  :cheesy:
I found a similar question but the user didn't come back to finish the answer. I am currently running WR 3.9.27 and the regsvr32.exe System Error reads "The program can't start because COMCTL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." However, no program is listed, also I think that WR is stuck in the loop of registration with this one file. Both Drive Read and Write show zero bytes used, and have for well over 15 hours. If I stop the program and manually register the two main versions of the dll, will there be a problem with repairs going forward? I have been having lots of problems with my laptop recently, and need to stabilize it to get some data off and into the cloud. Google Drive is one of the programs that I am having problems with :thinking:
Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.
All the best,
LGW
Windows 7 home build 7601 Service pack 1
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:23:22 am by Ladygreenwitch, Reason: Forgot to add Windows version »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: System Error regarding missing COMCTL.dll
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 01:59:29 pm »
I'm not familiar with Google Drive but it shouldn't harm your computer re-registering the DLLs.

That is an outdated version of the repair program but were you running it in Safe Mode with Networking ?

The program can be updated by downloading the current version from www.tweaking.com

Does this article help with your Google Drive problems ? - https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2456903?hl=en

Have you run a sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to see what that reports ?

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then download and run SFCFix.exe which can repair where the sfc cannot but will produce it's own report which you can copy & paste into your reply.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

Event Viewer may give a clue to what that DLL relates to.

As you are using an home built machine, does your install disk include SP1 where you will be able to perform a repair install which won't affect your installed programs or personal stuff ?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:02:40 pm by Boggin »

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:00:44 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have stopped WR and run a search for comctl32.dll files, and there are a rather surprising 321 copies on my C drive. Do you know if these are all required? A large number end with mui. I am going to reregister the main two in Sys32 and Wow64. I will check back after trying the fix again.
All the best,
LGW

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 02:00:07 am »
From what I know of that file, it will have been modified a few times from what came originally with your machine, which makes it difficult to say copy it from an install disk.

If re-registering them doesn't do it, can you runs a sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

You haven't said if you have an install disk that includes SP1.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:17:17 am by Boggin »

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:39:55 am »
On my W7x64 Pro system using WR 3.9.27 Portable, Process Explorer shows that the Repair_Windows.exe initially loads 2x COMCTL32.dll, both are version 5.82.7601.18837 dated Fri Apr 24 18:56:50 2015 (date/time might differ based on relative Time Zones).

Process Explorer: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_process_explorer.html From View > Show Lower pane and Lower pane > DLLs, highlight your WR .exe in the upper pane and order the lower pane by name to show the loaded COMCTL.dll(s) near the top, double-click them to show the file versions, date/times and file locations.

If you supply these details for your system/COMCTL.dll files, it might help us figure out what's happening.

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »
Hi,
Thanks to you both for your assistance. After a few rounds of  sfc /scannow and Chkdsk, I was finally able to update WR, it is running now. Yes, I am running in SM w/network. I will see how far I get, and then try the next suggestion. I will report back on my progress. Thanks again.
TTFN,
LGW

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:58:41 am »
Hey,
Just didn't want you to think that I wasn't coming back. I always hated that, lol. Currently still in WR 8 Repair MDAC/MS Jet. Currently at almost 24 hours. Task Manager is showing up to 250,000,000 page faults, which I am guessing is responsible for the extensive run time. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.  I'll be back.
TTFN,
LGW
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:32:25 pm by Ladygreenwitch, Reason: Needed to add a detail. »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:27:20 pm »
I've passed this onto Shane but not sure when I'll get a reply or he comes onto the forum.

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:15 pm »
 :smiley: No worries. I'll keep an eye out for any of his posts. I understand about Summers and family.  :smiley: Thanks for your time and attention Boggins.
TTFN,
LGW

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 12:21:08 am »
So it is the comctl32.dll that is missing and not a COMCTL.dll as you stated in your opening post ?

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:19 pm »
 :thinking: Ooops. I am terribly sorry about that, the “32" missing completely got passed me. Yes, the error message shows COMCTL32.dll, however a search returns 321 copies of comctl32.dll two of which are located in C:\Win\Sys32 and C:\Win\WOW64 the others appear to be associated with other programs. I have determined that the problems involving Google Drive are involved in the COMCTL32.dll errors. WR still running. Currently at 1day, 7hours. Still at Section 8, about 12 hours now.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 12:49:17 am »
WR shouldn't be running that long.

Are you experiencing any problems with Google Drive that this article can help with, including the Contact Google Drive Support.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2456903?hl=en

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 12:44:28 pm »
 :confused: It actually took a bit less than 48 hours to complete. I am now having a “problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter“. If you would like, I can open a new thread in a more appropriate forum. But as long as I have you here... :wink: any ideas are gladly accepted.
TTFN,
LGW

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »
What exactly is the problem you are having ?

Offline Ladygreenwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 11:02:15 am »
Sorry, I got hung up. I resolved the Network Connection issue. Thanks again for your help. Hopefully the WR resolved the original instability so I can do a proper back up. Have a super day.   :cheesy:
TTFN,
LGW

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 01:33:16 pm »
So did you manage to resolve the Google Drive problems and no longer getting the missing comctl32.dll errors ?