Author Topic: Sony Card Reader won't run on windows 10  (Read 8849 times)

Offline donnasander

• View Profile
Sony Card Reader won't run on windows 10
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:03:45 am »
I have a Sony MRW620-U1 card reader. Windows 10 won't detect my SD cards, and I have a device error, but no drivers are provided for it, and it worked fine in Windows 7. Would be grateful if anyone has knowledge on this subject.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Card Reader won't run on windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 01:44:34 pm »
I don't have any experience of card readers, but I assume the device error is for the card reader in Device Manager ?

If that is the case, can you right click on it and select Properties and tell us if it gives an error code.

Sometimes right clicking on a device, selecting Uninstall then clicking on Action/Scan for hardware changes can get it to work when it reinstates it.

Offline donnasander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
Error code 43, Device Descriptor Failed...and I have TRIED all of (6) fixes I've found, including uninstalling driver, re-installing driver, disabling fastboot, disabling USB selective suspend in power settings, etc etc. Device is a sony Multi-card reader MRW620-U1 ...and no disk or driver is required. It worked in Windows 7 ...so the driver "should" be there in 10, yes/no? Even though I'm an I.T. tech, drivers is not my strong suit. (and I DEFINITELY don't trust 3rd party driver software)  It's an old card reader...I've had it since Windows Vista...I may have to just get a new one...It was just in such good shape, and at the time supported every card under the sun, so I was kind of attached to it. But I may have to re-think that. :-(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:58:32 pm by donnasander »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »
Have you another machine or do you know anyone where you can try the card reader in another machine ?

Does Event Viewer have any time stamped errors for when you plug the card reader in ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:24:25 pm »
While I would expect the card reader to work in Win 10, see if you can find it in the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (WHCL).

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-the-windows-hardware-compatibility-list-2625914

Offline donnasander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 03:14:56 pm »
I will look, but actually it's crazy...after reading for hours and hours, and shopping for just as long, I have come to the conclusion that NO internal card readers are Windows 10 compatible. I've found a couple of USB, even with USB3 ports on them on Amazon that say they def are...so I just ordered one of those. (Ugreen) ...too much time spent already on a f'ing card reader. COME ON MICROSOFT WITH YOUR DAMN AMAZING OPERATING SYSTEM (???????!!!!!)

fyi, checked your useless link...I KNOW what the HCL is, what could have used was an actual link to it. (crap article...livewire, come on!!)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:20:26 pm by donnasander »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 12:52:21 am »
It does have a link to it but I didn't know if you were aware of it so had to supply some background to it.

Have you been able to try it on another machine yet ?

Offline donnasander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:30:20 am »
I did not find a link in there. I gave up. I even tried to shop for one that was compatible, and I'm convinced now that there are none. Just ordered a USB3 one that says works...Thanks anyway. sorry for sarcasm, I was very frustrated yesterday.  :tongue:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »
If you click on the first link under How to Use the Windows HCL it will get you - https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/Hardware/lpl/

I think I would have seen if I could try that card reader on another machine first before condemning it, but hope the one you have now will be trouble free.

Offline donnasander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 04:04:53 pm »
So there are no internal card readers on the list...so is that because I'm right, and there is NOT any compatible ones? (That's what I believe...) sure is disappointing. It's so nice to have one right there on the front of the case with no cables running everywhere. I much prefer it to the USB ones...but oh well. It's very sad they can't incorporate a simple thing like a card reader.

If they had ever make manufacturer drivers for them, instead of trusting Microsoft to do it, ...they could be installed in compatibility mode...but can't even do that.

I will always be looking for a solution, if anyone ever comes up with one. for now, I'm not removing it from the case, I don't anything else I want to stick in the slot, and it's got a couple USB ports that work...so....If you come along at a later and know of a solution to this issue, OR know of an internal one that works with Windows 10 x64 that I can purchase, let me know that also please. I'll keep it open forever, haha.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:50 am »
I'm not sure if this will work but in Device Manager can you right click on what it is showing when you insert the card and select Update Driver - Browse my computer - Let me pick...

It may take you straight to the device or you may have to scroll down the list to select the correct section.

When you get it, it may list previous drivers which you can click on and then on Next where they will install and then see if that replaces the Unknown Device error in Device Manager.