Author Topic: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.  (Read 152560 times)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2017, 02:25:28 pm »
OK STATUS IS:  I have created a bootable W7 DVD disc from the Speccry program.  Thanks.  Feeling very good so far.  Will report more shortly.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2017, 04:59:36 pm »
Hi - I have come to a quandary:

I know I have to do the repair install based on what you said:

"Before you perform the repair install, create an image onto external media and run Windows Repair in Safe Mode and then see if a sfc /scannow still reports it cannot repair that MSDTC Log, as that could have been the result of those infections.

It's probably prudent to create a system image now before you eventually go ahead with those updates and then you'll have something to fall back on."

But, I installed a new AOMEI Backerupper but it gets a 4xxx error that I sent to them.  They said, uninstall reboot install and reboot, which I am in the process of doing.  But, after that I am not sure how to perform the repair install.  I looked back at the log and can not find that.

So, after i do the image backup, exactly what do I do with the system disc to get system back to normal so I can put on those updates?

How do I do that?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:51:26 pm by FreeCat »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2017, 12:24:04 am »
If you can't get AOMEI to work then you can use Windows own Create a system image.

When you have created a system image/backup and run Windows Repair in Safe Mode with Networking, run another sfc /scannow to see if it still reports it is unable to repair that file.

If that is the case then you will need to proceed with the repair install.

Prior to doing a repair install it is advised that you back up your drivers folders onto something like an USB stick.

They can be found at C:\Windows\System32 and there are three of them and then you can drag and drop them back in after the install should they be needed.

To perform the repair install, go Start - Computer - insert the install disk and double click on the drive which should start the process - you may have a small amount of user input such as agreeing to the EULA but once it starts, it will just get on with it.

You'll then be looking at the Windows Updates wanting to download and install or you may have to do a manual check for updates, but I'd change the update settings to Let me choose... and then you can vet them before they download.

One update I think you look for is KB2952664 - this is a Telemetry update which sends data back to MS and is a spy, but it's up to you.

I know a few including myself that hide this update when it is offered.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 02:17:34 am »
Thanks, Boggin, for your help.  OK Backerupper has been running for about 10 hours and is at about the 25% mark.  That error happened within a hour last time, so I think we are clear of that.  the reboot and reinstall did it.

I will wait and watch and keep you informed of my next steps.

BTW, how is windows create image called.  I never knew there was one.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2017, 04:21:07 am »
It's all I use, but go Start - Control Panel - System and Security/Back up your computer and you will see the option in the left pane where you can also create a System Repair disk.

Before you go for the repair install, see if an offboot sfc /scannow will repair that file.

You may need to change the boot order to boot up with the install disk so tap F12 as you switch on, use the cursor keys to select the DVD drive, insert the disk and press enter.

You may be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] highlighted - just press enter.

Use the dropdowns to change/confirm Language and Time and Currency format - Next - then on the Install screen click on Repair your computer bottom left then select Command Prompt.

At the prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

You need to enter this cmd as Windows doesn't always see the volume as being in C:

That is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \ then use the partition letter that gives you instead of the X I have used and enter this cmd -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Note there is a space before each /

You won't see the % progress as you would when running a normal sfc /scannow but it will report the same as a normal one would on completion.

If that says it can't repair all files as well then you will need to perform the repair install.

If it says it has repaired files then enter exit in either case to close the cmd window, remove the install disk and restart and then run another sfc /scannow to see what it reports.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »
Thanks, Bloggin, but MS has trouble with going to my NAS.  I tried a stand alone USB but system not seeing the stand alone.  Got some advice from AOMEI about deleting some XML files so I will try AOMEI again.  Back later.  Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2017, 12:14:49 am »
What is the USB for that you tried ?

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2017, 06:06:51 am »
Howdy Bloggin,

Thanks for your continued interest.  I have lost track of it, but it was from the MS site.  I tried to look for it but could not find it again.  However, I tried AEOMI BU again and it froze whole system after 9 hours at 17% on Friday.  Then again on Saturday --- same thing same 17%.

I do not understand as I have used AOMEI successfully on this machine many times in the past.  Las week I wrote them about the 4xxx message I received twice after reinstall and reboot and they gave me a link to use which uninsulated and re-installed BU.

One thing about them is very weird.  I have two paid licenses for two computers using A BU but there is NO place to enter the license codes; and, I looked and looked for somewhere to do that.  I asked Megan at A whey that is or where to enter the code so I am actually using the pro version, but, somehow, she just does understand the questions (which I clearly asked in several emails).

So, I do not know what to do except this is what I will try after i get back from church today:  Run who crashed and zip the A BU logs up.  Would you like to see them or anything else?  Thanks, again, for your help and concern.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2017, 09:37:06 am »
I was asking what was on the USB.

Let's see if AOMEI will work in a clean boot.

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter then under the Startup tab click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart and try it again.

If it still hangs then go back into msconfig and under the Services tab check the box for Hide all Microsoft services then click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart - but you must first check the box to hide all MS services.

Event Viewer may have recorded something about the AOMEI freeze - it could relate to Drive J:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:19:27 am by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2017, 05:34:43 am »
Howdy Bloggin,

Sorry about the confusion about the USB.  What I mean to say was that the link I got:
https://wudt.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest did not work.

Secondly, I tried to substitute a 2 TB USB drive and use the MS backup, but the USB connect did not work and I lost track of things that I tried to fix it.

But, LOL, AOMEI is still going after 30 hours using what you said disabling all but MS services.  I noticed my machine so much fast --- I may keep it this way for a while after backup is done.  :)

And now, only 8 hours to go.  Then I will try the next step you suggested which I forgot but will go back in the log and lookup.  Thanks, again, for your help Bloggin.  :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2017, 07:04:46 am »
You need to check if your computer will boot from an USB.

You can either check in the BIOS/Boot or tap F12 as you switch on to see if it gives an USB option.

Not having used AOMEI I don't know how long a back up would take, but you have a number of drives to back up which can determine how long it would take.

BTW - It's Boggin - not Bloggin :)

I'm not getting any email notifications of replies so I may be a bit late in replying, notwithstanding time differences.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:27:09 am by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2017, 06:28:36 am »
Sorry Boggin.  9:24 EST here and backup finished -  Now it is 54% through verification.  BTW, what do you use for system backup.  I tried them all (Acronis, Paragon, etc) and (until now) AOMEI Backerupper is the best.  Will keep you posted.

The next step I remember is to boot from the disc you helped me recreate and run the scan now from that while on the c:\ prompt.  Correct?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2017, 06:43:26 am »
When you select Repair your computer on the Install screen, that will take you to the Recovery Environment (RE) where you select Command Prompt and that displays as a x: prompt.

Enter bcdedit |find "0sdevice" to see which partition letter it sees the volume in and use that letter in the sfc /scannow command as I've posted earlier.

As I've said before, I use Windows own Create a system image.

However, after the Oct. update that Win 10 will be getting, that will no longer be an option as MS are removing it in Win 10 and I'll have to look for something else to create my images.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:48 am »
Hi Boggin

Backup / imaging software

I'm a long term user and great advocate of Casper, now in version 10, from Future Systems Solutions -
 https://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/. It's not free, but I've found it totally reliable and the support is first rate.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:16 am »
Hi Boggin,

Overnight it finished completion and now I have a full image backup; I will proceed with the repair on the weekend as I need my computer during the day for work.  Will keep you informed.

Still_Game:  I will take a look at Casper doe to the recent challenges with AOMEI which has been reliable up to now --- but it so SLOW.  Weird part of AOMEI is that I purchased two licenses but there is no place to enter the license key and they have not answered several inquiries on that; this give me worries about continuing using AOMEI .  Thanks.

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2017, 05:59:26 am »
Weird part of AOMEI is that I purchased two licenses but there is no place to enter the license key and they have not answered several inquiries on that...

Aomei software usually differentiates between the Demo/Pro etc. versions on the Help > About screen.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2017, 06:03:50 am »
Hi Boggin

Backup / imaging software

I'm a long term user and great advocate of Casper, now in version 10, from Future Systems Solutions -
 https://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/. It's not free, but I've found it totally reliable and the support is first rate.

Thanks, but I'd be looking for a free program to replace Windows System Image when the time comes - I have Macrium Reflect in mind but I'll need to get some more info on it as I've seen restore problems reported for it.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2017, 06:56:06 am »
satrow - Yes, AOMEI says Pro in the about, but I have not put in any license info.  I looked at every place in the menu settings, etc.  there is no place to put license info.  Just weird.

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2017, 07:15:58 am »
If it says Pro not (Demo), it should already be licensed so there's no need for somewhere to input your licence info.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2017, 02:36:52 pm »
Boggin - I am trying all the fixes today.  BTW, if you find a system backup that you really like and costs money, tell me and I will buy you a license.  With stuff like that, I like to know there is someone I can call for hlep and I can get updates.  well, that is my way of working.  Anyway, let me know and I will purchase it for you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2017, 02:51:02 pm »
Thank you but I can afford it myself - it's just that I'm averse to buying something when I can get a free version that does the same.

There is the exception with Windows Repair, but generally I'm a tight git :D

I think that when the time comes I'll probably opt for Macrium Reflect and if I'm in a generous mood and I like it, I may just splash out and get the pro version :)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2017, 05:33:20 pm »
Howdy Boggin.  Well I did what you said booted up from CD, found system on E: drive and three runs of scannow with the offboot and windows parameters gave: "There are errors but could not fix them." 

So, Now I have to repair using  the cd.  I am confused about how to do that.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2017, 01:43:17 am »
I'll go through it again.

Boot up the machine, go Start - click on Computer and insert the disk.

Double click on the DVD drive when you see it has come up and that should start the process.

There will be some user input such as accepting the end user licence agreement (EULA) but it will just get on with it.

At some point you will be prompted to enter your product key to activate it.

While this won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs, it will produce a Windows.old folder which will be of a few GBs in size.

You will need to reinstall all of Windows updates but you can let it do this over night, provided you change your update settings to Let me choose so that you can control when you want them to download.

When you are sure everything is as it should be, go Start - type disk cleanup - right click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as administrator

When it has completed, scroll through the box to check the box for Windows.old and that will get rid of that and then you can do a defrag when that is done.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2017, 08:25:05 am »
Sorry, Boggin.  I confused you by not being complete.  Originally, I did not know to run this from the existing windows, but I did some reading and figured that out.  I already did all you said and it kept saying things like can not continue as some updates needed and you must run again: "The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.   Windows needs to be restarted so necessary changes to system files can be made before continuing."

Finally, I just ran it again, and again, I got more or less the same messages.  I figured that may the third time is the charm and still got the same messages.  (BTW each run takes about a half hour.) 

I am tempted at the beginning to not take the fork that says get latest updates.  But, with that fork there is warning about being vulnerable to virus, etc.  But, then I figured that I did something way wrong and stopped before taking that fork.  I saved the screens if you want to look at them.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2017, 08:39:18 am »
Yes, can you post those.