Author Topic: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.  (Read 152559 times)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Ult 64 bit trapped by BSD and can not get out.
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2018, 07:38:22 am »
Sorry, Boggin, but I do not understand "there will be no help from me."

Satchfan is away from Internet for 36 hours and he asked me to send him the Malwarebytes Antimalware log but could not find a TXT log to send.

He then asked me to look in a specific place but I can not even find a Malwarebytes Antimalware folder there.

I am somewhat confused with Malwarebytes programs.  Are there two of them?  One Malwarebytes Anti-virus and the other Malwarebytes Antimalware?

I went to try to specifically download Malwarebytes Antimalware but most of the FREE downloads did not work.  I finally went to Major Geeks and got a download, but it seems to be Malwarebytes AntiVirus.  I installed and ran (again?) but there seems to be no log, again, where Satchafan told me to look.

Also, I could not find "tools, folders, options" in Windows explorer.  What am I doing incorrectly?

Here is what Satchfan told me:

Show hidden Files and Folders

open Windows Explorer, (Windows key+E)
at the top, click on Tools>Folder options
click on the 'View' tab
under 'Files and Folders', place a check in Show hidden files, folders and drives
You can then find the log at the following location:

C:\Users\Morgan Pierce Parker\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2018, 08:06:36 am »
What I meant was that while he is helping you, I can't/shouldn't give you additional advice.

I can't use my Win 7 machine just yet as it's running a full scan with the free version of MBAM and things are a bit different in Win 10.

I've copied this from a Google link but it isn't how I remember doing it.

Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.

Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

I've done a scan with MBAM also on this Win 10 machine but as it didn't find anything, then I assume that is why it hasn't made a log.

Has your scan found anything ?

EDIT - Scroll down to the Win 7 part in this article which looks more straight forward and has pics - https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:11:21 am by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2018, 09:07:43 am »
Thanks, Boggin.  The HOW TO GEEK was very clear on how to show the files.  But, still no Malwarebytes folders in USERS folder.
This Malwarebytes company give me the creeps.  Always asking for something.  Too many similar but different names for things.

Just not good and clear marketing.  Once machine is fixed, I think I want to go to Emisoft.  What do you think of Emisoft?

Re this, I will just wait till Satchfan gets back.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:09 am »
Don't scan with anything else unless your helper instructs you.

Did your last MBAM scan find anything ?

Did you follow the full path from Users ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:15:10 am by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2018, 09:20:21 am »
Yes.  Many "Website Blocked" items and eight old Scan Reports.  Wait!

I just realized that if I check "Scan report" I can view that report and EXPORT IT.

Maybe that is what Satchfan wants.  I will post those.

Thanks, again, Boggin!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:32 am »
Yes, I've just found the Reports link in the left pane and what you have found for viewing it.

As MBAM has never really found anything on my machines, I've never bothered with the reports.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2018, 10:22:29 am »
I've just had a look at your BC thread and that has posted fine.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2018, 02:06:22 pm »
Boggin, maybe coming to an end at BC.  Just posted.

Can you give me some of your thoughts on using Tweaking?  Or, should I just forget it?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2018, 02:13:26 pm »
If your machine is working okay after then there will be no need to run it, but some infections can cause damage to system files.

If you do decide to run the program, create a system image first onto external media.

If you use the program to create a restore point, go into System protection to confirm that it is actually created.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2018, 07:10:27 pm »
Thanks, Boggin, for your help.

I did my last post at BC.  They have indicated that I am no longer wanted.  You can see my final post there.  Maybe, after reading what CA said, you are finished with me also.  Let me know, please. 

In any event, I wish to give you a salute and thank you for all your help.

I was hoping for some advice on the original problem about the MS Update that seems to have caused all of this.  However, reading what Satchfan and CA have said, it is prolly all these "registry tools" and unknown programs which have cause the problems on my machine.  So, I have deleted much and will not put unknown programs on my machine --- also will stay away from "fixing" programs, etc.

I guess, if I do not hear from you, I am going to do a full backup and then try the MS updates.  And, after that, install Avast Anti-virus or Emini.

Thanks so very, very much, Boggin.  Have a good life!  You are blessed.

I will donate $100 USD to this forum.  Where do I do that?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2018, 12:27:28 am »
Some forums will not help when they find either illegal software or P2P as they are usually used for downloading pirated software.

I don't abandon anyone unless because of their behaviour, I find offensive - yours hasn't been such and you are welcome here at any time.

What updates are waiting to download/install ?

As for a donation - perhaps you should contact Jim (JPM) at [email protected] email

I use msconfig to disable startup items I don't want starting when I boot  up and my machines work okay.

He did have a point about orphan files though that if you uninstall a program that you have previously disabled in msconfig, that entry will remain, so you should re-enable that item first before uninstalling.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:37:24 am by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2018, 06:50:58 am »
Howdy Boggin,

I sent Jim and email.

OK, I very much like the performance of the machine with the MS config keeping on only the MS services.  It is fast.  Plus, prolly, the other junk I deleted at Satchfan's request was surely helpful.

So, I have sworn off all registry tools and "fixers" and will not use them.  Except every once in a while I will use the Tweaking tool for backup registry; and, I will use CREATE RESTORE POINT; I guess I will do this when I feel some software to be installed might mess up my machine. 

I hate to be saying something like this (doing things by "feeling") but I have no other reference point.  I do not understand why or when I will ever have to restore the registry except if something goes wrong.

Well, back to the original problem:  Originally, I got a BSOD after an MS update.  There were two update numbers that cause this and you prompted me through removing them.  Between that and all the BC stuff my machine seems to be doing well.  But, I am afraid to run any updates.

I want to delete the MW bytes "trial" and install Avast or Emimi, but I am unsure if this is the thing to do.  I was told to uni-install all the MS anti-virus stuff (DEFENDER and some other MS thing --- I think MS scan or something like that.  So, I guess I should leave this off my machine.

BTW, all I said about Satchfan in Bleeping Computer there is a correction.  I thought I was in Bleeping Computer with Satchfan, but the forum was really in What The Tech.

Re updates:  When I went to see about what updates should be installed, I got this message:
"ERRORS FOUND - WindowsUpdate_80070422" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

So, I will wait to hear from you before doing anything.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:32:48 am by FreeCat »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2018, 09:10:27 am »
First of all, I don't know how you ended up on that forum when the original link was for BC.

As for MBAM, the trial will end naturally 14 days after you installed it but to manually end it - open MBAM and click on Settings then on Account Details where you'll see the button to end it.

For the Windows Update error, did you get this when trying to download or install updates, or after a manual check for updates ?

Let's see if the update service is set correctly.

Go Start - type services.msc and press enter - you may need to expand the window but scroll down to Windows Update and ensure it is set to Automatic (Delayed) and showing as Started.

If it is not showing as Auto then right click on it and select Properties then use the dropdown to change it to Auto (Delayed) or just Auto - Start - Apply - OK

Close the Services window, reboot and try the updates again.

Let me know if you get an error when trying to start it.

Sometimes changing the update settings to Never check - rebooting and changing it back to Check for but let me choose.. can sometimes work.

Work your way through the steps in this article for Troubleshooter and then Fix Windows Update problems and then try them again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

If they still produce an error which may be a different one, perform a sfc /scannow to see what it reports.

If it reports it is unable to repair some files, then download SFCFix.exe and post its report.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

That may tell you to run SURT which is the System Update Readiness Tool.

Lower down on that Troubleshooter page you will find download links for the SURT version you will need to download, but it can resolve a number of update problems on its own, if you want to run it before a sfc /scannow.

The 64 bit version is a 533MB download and can take a while to run but its log can be found in Windows C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2018, 12:34:12 pm »
Howdy Boggin,

Well, totally honestly, I thought I was still on BC.  I do remember having trouble getting in to BC at one point (just before hooking up with Satchfan) so I felt I had to create another account (Safe instead of FreeCat).  I did notice something like (but not exactly) "Jimmy Coyote originally started this forum" so I figured it was just renamed.

Anyway Satchafan seemed to have helped me as computer was faster; I guess due to deleting all that crap.

OK, I will leave Malware Bytes alone and running for the moment --- unless you say to end it; I was just thinking it would conflict with Avast when I installed Avast --- if you think Avast would be good.

The windows update error happened when I am searching for updates.  Oddly, the window showed Most recent check for updates:  Never.  Updates were installed:  Never.  "WindowsUpdate_80070422" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Yes in service.msc Windows Update shows enabled - started - automatic.

OK, Boggin, I have downloaded the update fix and am posting so I do not loose what I have written sofar.  Will follow your instructions.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2018, 01:29:03 pm »
Hi Boggin,

I downloaded and installed the package for 64b W7, then I ran it.

Nothing changed on windows Update will got that strange error.

So, I saw instructions fo look in the CheckSUR.log

I found this:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2018-03-27 15:42

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f)   CSI Payload File Missing   0x00000000   MSDTC.LOG   amd64_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_7547f48c79b40229   

Summary:
Seconds executed: 1003
 Found 1 errors
  CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 1

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2018, 02:13:00 pm »
OK,  I tried a number of things on this MS page:

None worked --- i.e. Updates still failed with same error.

When I got to this part of this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

AT COMMAND PROMPT:

Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

I got "access is denied".

Then I tried the sfc /scannow but got this message:
Windows Resrouce Protection could not start the repair service.

So, now at a standstill, here, Boggin.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:15:34 pm by FreeCat »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2018, 02:19:00 pm »
From a Google on that error, it's item 3 in this article but I don't know how you will be able to do that if you don't have another machine to copy the file from.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2700601/how-to-fix-errors-found-in-the-checksur-log

What I would suggest is that you perform a repair install in which case you will need to download all of the updates afresh which hopefully resolve that error.

Without going back through this thread which is quite long now, have I directed you in how to obtain a Win 7 ISO that includes SP 1 ?

You will need to have such a disk as the install disk needs to match the version you have installed.

If I haven't, then go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7 and enter your product key as directed which will release the ISO download.

You can use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485 to create a bootable DVD or USB.

To perform a repair install, with the machine booted up, go Start - Computer - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

If using a disk, this should start the process but if using an USB, that will open to its files where you would double click on setup Application.

A repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

EDIT - just seen your recent reply - go ahead with a repair install.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:21:10 pm by Boggin »

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2018, 02:35:59 pm »
Boggin, I do have another machine (Win 7 Ult 64 bit) that I can use to get stuff.
Also, I do have the MS install disk with SP1.  So, should I do something with the other machine?
And, what?

Also, other machine does not have any problems; it is just a Dell 690 --- slower.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:40:49 pm by FreeCat »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2018, 02:47:18 pm »
If you feel happy about the procedure to copy that file across, then try that but you always have the option of a repair install should that not work.

Is that Dell machine also Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 ?

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2018, 02:56:11 pm »
Yes, other machine is W7 Ultimate 64 bit.  SP1 So, what file should I copy?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2018, 03:14:46 pm »
It's the one that says is missing in the Checksur log.

Using the Dell, you could copy it from your post and then go to Windows C:\Windows\WinSxs and paste it into the top right search box which should land on it.

As the article says, you may need to take ownership of the file before it will allow you to do anything with it.

Scroll down this article to the hyperlink for Take Ownership Menu Hacks and run that so when you right click on a file, you can select Take Ownership - saves chewing on with those cmds in the fix article.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

I have this on my Win 7 machine and a Win 10 specific one on my Win 10 machines.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »
Boggin, pardon me for being so dummb here, but the only file I see they could mean is:
CSI Payload File Missing   0x00000000

I searched my other machine foe this and came up empty.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2018, 01:04:15 am »
If you look in the WinSxS folder you will see that they start with amd64 so try a search with -

amd64_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_7547f48c79b40229

or just up to include the 31bf number if the full one isn't found.

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2018, 01:41:30 pm »
Howdy Boggin,

I found the file on my other machine (same Ultimate 64b) and took ownership of it and put the folder and file in the winsxs folder under Windows.  (BTW, it took a long time to take ownership of winsxs before I could do the copy.)  I put the big long amd64xxx file into the amd64xxx folder and also directly into the winsxs folder.

Still same error on the Windows update.  Exactly the same no change.

So, what do you suggest now?

BTW, I have INTEL CPUs on this machine.  Is this amd64xxx file have to do with the AMD graphics cards?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2018, 02:21:10 pm »
I only meant for you to take ownership of that one file and not the whole WinSxS folder which is very large.

Did you confirm that it's now in the target machine by doing a search for it on there ?

If it is then run SURT again to see what it reports this time.

AMD were the first to produce 64 bit architecture so just as Hoover were the first to invent vacuum cleaners, some still call them Hoovers regardless of the brand and so the same with Biro and ballpoint pens, so MS refer to 64 bit things as amd64.