Author Topic: install of Tweaking.com on XP give BSOD during Log folder creation  (Read 4563 times)

Offline dsaum

• View Profile
I am trying to get a crashed WinXP system working. 

Did repair with XP SP3 CD and it is mostly working again.  Have internet and loaded latest firefox browser.

So I tried to install Tweaking.com but I can not install most programs from browser now. 
The download but, double clicking on most downloads does nothing.  Did manage to
download and install 7-ZIP but not Tweaking.com?

So I extracted the 4.0.2 portable version onto a USB flash drive on another PC, and then I started it on the problem XP pc.

Install of Tweaking.com runs until a message about creating a log folder and then I get BSOD.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: install of Tweaking.com on XP give BSOD during Log folder creation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:21 am »
Can you try the Tweaking.com program install in Safe Mode with Networking and if that goes okay, reboot to normal mode to see if you still get the BSOD.

Can you try installing other programs in that mode.

Offline dsaum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:33:25 am »
Thanks for the quick suggestions!

I went into the xp safe mode with networking ok via msconfig.

I went to downloads and tried to get the tweaking.com install files that i downloaded yesterday to run, but nothing happened, as before.  Clicked on 7-zip install file that I downloaded before and it starts up with no problems, as before.  Also tried to download and install ccleaner from yesterdays file, but it does not run, as before

Tried to run portable tweaking program from flash drive and it started up and got to "installing windows files" at around 75% before the BSOD.

Note that the only internet connection I have on the problem pc is a pci wifi card.  No ethernet connection nearby. Luckily the wifi card works.  I am sending this message from the problem pc wifi.

Next?

Dave

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:21:46 pm »
Does Event Viewer have anything recorded and did you make a note of the Stop Error Code ?

The two programs that you seem to be having problems with can change the way the machine will work so I'm wondering if Windows Firewall could be stepping in - can you try with it turned off.

The only other thing added to what would seem to be a vanilla install is the WiFi NIC.

Not sure how that could conflict but you could try the portable version again with the adapter disabled in Device Manager.