Author Topic: are sfc scan and w.readinesstool different?  (Read 7249 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
are sfc scan and w.readinesstool different?
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:10 am »
I presume that sfc scannow helps in fixing the system files when the files were loaded , and it checks to see the files that were present in the installation dvd  and correct any missing files from the required folders from the system itself.
 Windows readiness tool is on the other hand fixes the windows updates from the time of installation to the date of running the tool.
If there is any corruption in the system files, then you get errors or otherwise no error  for all the files, when those files were installed in sfc scan (like using i386 folders in xp)
If there are no pending windows update, then you get no error in check sur log, otherwise, you get some errors and by installing those updates, you get no error.
Are my assumptions correct? please.
are any changes made in files like explorer.exe and other exes in window updates?
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: are sfc scan and w.readinesstool different?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:25:16 am »
I believe the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) can fix other things than just Windows Update and it's log can be found in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:38:00 am »
Hi, I tried every tool but could not fix sfc errors. Then i wrote to sysnative forum. They have given two fixes . In the first fix, they have given solution to some of the missing or corrupted files. I was asked to again scan by sfc. I did and sent. In the second fix, my problems solved and subsequent sfc scannow, now shows no integrity violations.  But,  if i use findstr.. to show corrupted files, it does show correctly. But when i open the cbs.log there are numerous pending rename entries What are those, and how to delete. Ofcourse, i noted a Temp folder in winsxs folder and it contains pending deletes and pending renames folder.
               If i do sfc scan, each time there are entries of pending renames. Would it not be deleted automatically. Some says to activate the Trusted installer, which i did , But i do find so much files everytime. Is there any fix in All in one repair to repair?
                  What are the repairs noted in registering windows files, do pl

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 01:56:00 am »
I would ask your helper on the sysnative.com forum about those.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 05:59:46 am »
 Hi, I asked, but he just told me not to bother. But , finding so much pending renames bothered me. So, I ask in this forum.
Hi, Boggin, one sub question: What is install.wim and boot.wim. If you know, pl let me know

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:56:13 am »
Hi, I asked, but he just told me not to bother. But , finding so much pending renames bothered me. So, I ask in this forum.
Hi, Boggin, one sub question: What is install.wim and boot.wim. If you know, pl let me know

Have you tried Googling those ?

As for the Pending entries, have you tried Disk Cleanup ?

When it has ran the basic scan, click on Clean System Files and it should find some more that you can opt to clean and then run sfc /scannow again and check to see what the CBS log reports.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 11:02:00 pm »
Hi, Boggins. I have done all that . There is no pending wu. I had gone to the system files and checked ,but it shows hardly 3 mb data. But, what i am seeing in winsxs pending rename folder is huge. the folder itself is bulging day by day.
                          I have googled extensively, but the solution evades me. I have installed the required update to get that menu of windows update cleaning menu and i do not know. I am still googling for that. Likewise, i only see install.wim folder in the source folder, but what is boot.wim

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:54:01 am »
Are you using XP or Win 7 ?

The update that gave you the ability to clean up the WinSxs folder in Win 7 was around Dec. 2013 so when you use Disk Cleanup, you can go Start - type disk cleanup then right click on it and select Run as administrator which will clean out any obsolete updates.

If you are using Win 7 then boot up into the advanced boot options and select Repair your computer then navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt and enter this cmd to see if it resolves the Pending.

dism.exe /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Boot back into normal Windows and run another sfc /scannow and post the findstr CBS log if it still reports those.