Author Topic: Typo in Update Downloader  (Read 7306 times)

Offline garioch7

• View Profile
Typo in Update Downloader
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:10:20 am »
There is a typo in the Update Downloader.  It states, under "Status: Recieving File".  The word "Recieving" is misspelled.  It should read "Receiving".

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Typo in Update Downloader
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:57:53 am »
I reviewed v4 before Shane released it and had spotted a couple of typos but must have missed that one.

I'll point it out to Shane but doubt he'll bring out a new version just for that and will probably keep it in mind for the next updated release should there need to be one - but thanks for pointing it out.

Offline garioch7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 04:06:59 am »
Boggin:

Thank you for your quick reply.  That typo has existed for a long time ... ever since I started using Windows Repair AIO.  I just finally got around to pointing it out.  Certainly, the program does not need an update just to fix that.

You have a wonderful product and I refer to people to use it, when circumstances warrant, over at Bleeping Computer, where I am a member of the Bleeping Computer Malware Response Team.

Have a great day ... and sorry that my first post here had to be such a minor, niggling point.  Hopefully, I will be able to make much more important contributions here in the future.

Regards,
-Phil

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 04:32:53 am »
It's Shane's program - I'm just a Mod but I saw your status in the Bleeping Computer forum when I checked your profile when you first registered.

We get the occasional bots with spam in their signatures, so I check all new members that I see and ban those that have.

If anyone posts a malware problem then I'll draw your attention to them via a PM, but I find the free version of MBAM to be very effective for most, although I appreciate it may not catch all and there are more robust methods.

Offline garioch7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 06:09:37 am »
Boggin:

You do seem to have the spammers at bay here.  That is an ongoing battle!  The only other website that I frequent daily and where you never see spammers is the Macrium Reflect website.  You have to buy their product and enter your licence key to join their Forum!

Yes, I will be happy to help anyone here, or refer them to Bleeping Computer, if they have serious malware issues that the usual standard anti-malware programs, like Malwarebytes, cannot resolve.

I did join to check out your website, since I purchased your product (Versions 3 and 4).  I find the program (and I do use and recommend Registry Backup as well) to be a great resource for resolving odd and stubborn Windows issues.  I am here to help, so don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance, at any time.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,
-Phil

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 06:24:14 am »
I was thinking of trying Macrium Reflect Free for my Win 10 after I get the Oct. update, as MS are doing away with Windows own Create a system image.

Regards,

Tom.

Offline garioch7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 06:44:19 am »
Tom:

I use the paid versions of both Macrium Reflect (MR) and Easeus Todo Backup Home (ETBH).  I alternate the programs every Friday to back up my two computers.  In my line of volunteer work over at Bleeping Computer, I have seen too many lose so much!  You can never have too many backups.

The Windows "Backup and Restore" program is very limited, and what is the most critical deficiency in my view, is that you can't "verify" the image.  I didn't know that it was being discontinued.

I find MR to be faster than ETBH, but the GUI interface can be a little intimidating to novices, so for most folks who I help here in rural Cape Breton, who are largely senior citizens, I usually recommend ETBH, which is also cheaper than MR, if purchased.  ETBH also has a free version.  MR should be just fine for you.

Be sure to make the Win-PE emergency recovery disk, regardless of which program you choose, or even another imaging program.  I had a Windows update knock out my main computer back in the spring.  Windows Repair couldn't fix it and system restore points would not work, even in the Recovery Environment.  I booted from the ETBH Win-PE disk (that was my most recent backup - I keep four or five on hand) and within 25 minutes, I was back in business.  The Windows 10 update subsequently installed without issues.  So you just never can tell.  I always tell people that they are only one click away from potential disaster.

The free version of MR is still Version 6.  The current paid version is Version 7, with a mid-cycle release coming in the next month.  Apparently there will be an MR 7 Free version available in the future, according to their website.

Have a great weekend, Tom.

Regards,
-Phil

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 07:52:47 am »
Thanks, Phil.

I tend to be a bit averse to paying for programs if I can get a freebie version that does the same - with the exception of Windows Repair and Norton Security, but will consider the paid for version of Macrium if I like it.

These days, one weekend is pretty much like another with Modding on a couple of forums - it used to be three but I've just finished with one.

Tom.

Offline garioch7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 08:44:39 am »
Tom:

I hear you, but I take a different approach.  If I like a program and make use of it, I generally like to "donate".  For instance, I have paid for Window Repair AIO, but I have never had the need to run it on either of my computers.  I have users that I am assisting over at BC run the program.  I also pay for CCleaner and, in fact, most programs that I use on a regular basis.  It is a way of encouraging the persons who develop the software to continue their fine work.  Calibre doesn't offer a paid version, so I just donated to Kovid Goyal when I started using his program.

It is a lot work for folks like Shane to be constantly debugging, improving, and keeping up with MS and all the changes that the Microsoft foists on software developers.  One of my sons is a programmer, so perhaps that's where my "sensitivity" in this regard comes from.  Check out the CTO at HubStor - that's my son!

I am retired after 35 years in the RCMP, so for me weekends are just another day ...  Have a great one, any ways.

Regards,
-Phil