Author Topic: Problem Registering Portable Version  (Read 7904 times)

Offline gsfriend

• View Profile
Problem Registering Portable Version
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:34:50 pm »
I just downloaded and installed the 4.04 update on my computer without a problem, and my v4 license is recognized without a problem.  However, when I try to activate that same license with the portable installer, I get the "Houston we have a problem...your license failed to validate..." message.  Obviously my license IS valid here, so is there something that has to be reset or something?  I've never been able to get a portable v4 license activated, but never had an issue with v3.

Help?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Registering Portable Version
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:18:21 am »
The new v4 licence is per device and not user as it was for v3.

You now have to pay for the Pro version separate onto whatever you install it on to.

These are the new rates for first time install - http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

If you want your single licence upgraded to three devices, let me know and I'll email one of the Admins to see if they can arrange this for you.

Offline gsfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »
Okay - I'll add that to the list of things I didn't know that should have been made clearer.

For whatever my opinion is worth, and please take no PERSONAL offense here, that is a STUPID decision.  The only reason I bought this program in the first place was to support your development because, as a technician, I find using this utility is very convenient.  That said, I don't use it very often on my own personal system - I mostly used it as a portable tech tool that I use to fix client systems.  Sure, I could just use the free version on client systems, but I liked using something that was portable and already had my license tied to it, that I could run directly from my flash drive OR upload to a remote client's system as an activated ZIP file, run and use the utility, then just delete it when I was done. 

This new licensing method makes that totally impossible as I would need to purchase a license for each client I use the utility on, which is NOT going to happen.  It is more likely that I will simply work around the limitations and use the free version, or I will just use my older v3 license as a portable version.  I used it this way for years, and I know that is what is probably recommended, but it essentially screws the developers out of any chance of me upgrading it to a new version...ever..and that was the only reason I finally bought my license - to support a great program.  Sure, there is a YEARLY tech option now, but there does the affordability factor right out the window. 

Can I request to have my license to v4 reset?  I activated the portable version while using on a client's system as I was unaware of the new limited functionality of the license changes, so it isn't event tied to me, it is tied to a client who doesn't even have it installed or know what the utility is - nor would they care.  They just want their stuff to work. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 12:15:12 am »
Can you email your request to [email protected] with an explanation as that is what the response would be should I pass this on for you.

This should get you a quicker response.

Offline gsfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:41:27 am »
Sure will - thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:14:30 am »
Let me know how you get on.

Offline Falconldo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:51 pm »
I concur with the "With all due respect, this is a STUPID decision" school of thought. What you have done is effectively negated any chance that I will buy an upgrade to v4... EVER - or any other program from you. I too make it a practice of buying a program if I have used it for a while and found it useful... which is why I have a v3 license. I am just glad I read the comment about the licensing change BEFORE I pulled the $13.00 upgrade trigger. Just out of curiosity, were you losing a lot of money? Or did you just get greedy? I am so old that I was around BEFORE the internet... when all we had was BBS' and list-servers on 9600 baud dial-up. I have ALWAYS supported the shareware concept with cash. I truly hate to see great freeware/shareware programs such as yours - and it is a GREAT program - shift to a "Rent-ware" model. You might as well just put it in the cloud and charge by the minute to use the program. I would love a response, but don't really expect one. Please surprise me... Can you explain why you sold out to the almighty dollar and only rent the program now? Thanks, Dave Lamme

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:06:52 pm »
The new licencing terms are now comparable with other paid for programs except that it is a lifetime licence and not an annual one for the home user as other paid for programs are.

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_windows_repair_buy_pro,1.html

The difference now is that instead of the user being licenced, it is now the device.

Shane has put in a hell of a lot of work over the years in developing/perfecting this program and a lot more into designing v4.0.

Do you begrudge him getting a return for his intense labours - the program still remains free to use, albeit without the pro repairs section.

The pro version of v4.0 offers a lot more than v3 did in that now it will resolve Environment Variables problems which before needed to be manually uploaded to the forum.

There is also a comprehensive Help section.

I'll copy and paste your post into an email to him and he may respond.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:15:08 pm by Boggin »

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 01:49:43 pm »
As we have said - and always said. We sell the product per version.  From version 3 to version 4 was about 3 years. So it's not like we are churning it out versions everyday.  With our new interface if you have purchased version 3 100% of version free features will work. We simply wrapped 3 and 4 into the same interface to maintain one code base.  If you do not need the v4 features you have a choice to simply stay with what you are doing for no cost.  If you upgrade to or purchas version 4 - when version 5 comes out you can expect the same thing.  This is nothing new in the shareware world. It's pretty much been like that since the dawn of shareware to some extent. 

We had no choice but to change the licensing agreements because large companies are literally ripping us off including the one that wrote the operating system that you are using.

The tech license is there to try and stay true to our concept - The repairs are free for those who need them. However, if you are using our product as billable hours, as gsfriend is,  then you should be charged a fair rate. $65 per tech seems more than reasonable, so we can keep maintaining and updating the product. Try and find a tech that will work for 65 per year. ;) 

I do appreciate that some do not agree with this licensing decision but like I said we had little choice.

Offline Falconldo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 02:49:03 pm »
Boggin, JPM: I truly appreciate your responses addressing my points. I would not begrudge the developer compensation for the [hard and thankless - I am too aware <G>] process of coding and tweaking a program. I see now that I got caught in the middle of the change from 3 to 4... [bought v3, had some serious heart issues, by the time I got around to using it my "new" program was a major revision behind]. One point, at the risk of looking old and decrepit <G> is that I was under the impression that there would be an annual charge for the license. I think anyone who knows what is involved understands and would pay for a major revision... I just rail at the unscrupulous coders that charge a yearly stipend and release no real upgrades, just bug fixes. From your responses I can see that is not the case (I think <G>). You might look and see if you think that needs some clarification. In light of the above [and my belief in supporting the program] I will upgrade today to v4. While I have your attention... thanks for making it open-source-ish and allowing users to craft and submit plug-ins. I wish more coders would do that. Have a great day, and thanks again for a great program! Dave

I really need to learn how to read... thank you for the upgrade!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:57:15 pm by Falconldo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 02:56:15 pm »
I'm sure Shane and Jim (jpm) will appreciate your sentiments about the program and glad that has cleared up any confusion you had about the licence.