Author Topic: PC (specifically itunes 12.7) thinks i have no internet connection when i do  (Read 5230 times)

Offline lionheart44

• View Profile
i started a thread on sysnative (https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/23667-pc-thinks-i-have-no-internet-co
 Notify me of replies.nnection-when-i-do-2.html), but was told to try the windows repair from tweaking.com

the program has been on:

10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections
   Start (9/20/2017 3:22:03 PM)
   Running Repair Under Current User Account
   Running Repair Under System Account

for like 2 hours now....just looking to see if thats normal, or if i should try anything else.

All help, advice, information is very much appreciated for this noob!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm getting a 404 error on your Sysnative link in that it could have been moved or deleted so I can't see what has already been done.

Windows Repair can only repair infection damage after an infection has been removed.

2 hours is too long unless you have had an infection - are you running the program in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Have you done an antimalware scan ?

If you haven't then download the free version of MBAM and click on Scan in the left pane and select Custom Scan/Configure Scan.

Check at least the box for C: and see if that finds anything - including the Rootkit option is optional and will extend the scan time.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:45:25 pm by Boggin »

Offline satrow

• View Profile

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
(Thanks for correcting the link).

Can you go to Services and check the status of Bonjour - is it showing as Started/Running and Auto or Started/Running and Manual ?

Right click on it and select Properties and use the dropdown to change it to Manual - Apply - OK (if it isn't already set to Manual) and reboot to see if there's any change in your Internet status.

As you can log into iTunes by one method but not the other, it could be a DNS problem.

Go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Right click on whichever connection you are using and click on Properties - (TCP/IPv4) - Properties then check the bottom button for Use the following DNS servers and in the top row of boxes type 8.8.8.8 then tab down and type 8.8.4.4 in the lower row.

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and that will start the troubleshooter which should report no problems found.

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter these cmds -

netsh winsock reset catalog

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

and then see what things are like after the reboot.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've been following your thread on the Sysnative forum but it isn't clear what the problem/solution was - can you clarify.