Author Topic: Cannot run repairs, started as a Windows Installer Problem  (Read 5547 times)

Offline jbloojree

• View Profile
Cannot run repairs, started as a Windows Installer Problem
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:03:12 pm »
Windows 10 Pro x64. Some installation seems to be locking up Windows Installer every time I reboot and I couldn't resolve it. I went to change startup type to manual but it was grayed out, so I thought it was maybe some sort of permissions problem or something so I figured I might as well run Tweaking to see if it can gut the windows installer process problem that occurs every reboot, and maybe fix the permissions on the MSIserver service also.

I did chkdsk and rebooted, nothing came up, ran SFC scan, no integrity problems, went to run all repairs and get a message that it's failed four times so try safe mode. I did safe mode and got the exact same results so now I'm following the instructions and posting to forum to plea for help! Thanks for any points in the right direction!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot run repairs, started as a Windows Installer Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:25:51 pm »
Are you talking about the Windows Module Installer - that's already set to Manual in my Win 10.

Not sure if running the Windows Update troubleshooter may resolve that, but does Event Viewer have anything recorded ?

Windows also has a troubleshooter for BITS that may be worth running.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:27:45 pm by Boggin »

Offline jbloojree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:03 pm »
No.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:36 pm »
Sorry - I was looking at the wrong one.

Mine shows as yours - does the Start button work, either within Properties or in the upper left pane ?

Offline jbloojree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »
Yeah, actually separately I have resolved this Windows Installer service issue in the meantime. However, the Tweaking.com repairs options persisting in failing to run is still perplexing me. I've only seen that message when I'm cleaning up a clients machine who is seriously messed up so now I'm wondering what might be wrong with my machine? Haha! Only six months old so a relatively fresh OS. Never had any malware problems or anything. I mean technically this isn't a PROBLEM now that I fixed the Windows Installer service separately, but could something fundamentally be wrong with my machine that I should troubleshoot? It seems weird that repairs won't run. I've never had that problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:09 pm »
Have you considered a repair install - it's what I normally do if I feel mine isn't running as it should.

If you don't have a Win 10 install disk or USB then you can create either by following the instructions in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You can then try the Windows Repair again after.

I don't think these elevated commands will do anything for you but you could give them a try before the repair install.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

shutdown /r /t 00