Author Topic: Failure to auto restart after runnuing the tweaking.com repairs  (Read 5528 times)

Offline av1040

• View Profile
Failure to auto restart after runnuing the tweaking.com repairs
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:55 pm »
I spent several hours executing the tweaking.com repairs. After the last step, my laptop was supposed to restart to actually apply the changes that tweaking.com had identified. Unfortunately, the auto restart failed and I had to manually power off the computer and power it back. Does tweaking.com store the repairs to be made in some systems file so that one doesn't have to repeat the process? Secondly, if there are power off/power on issues, the effort may again be wasted? How can I execute the suggested repairs without spending the hours of diagnostics again?
Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failure to auto restart after runnuing the tweaking.com repairs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:05:15 pm »
When I used to run it on a Win 7 machine before upgrading to Win 10, the machine used to freeze after the restart.

I had to boot into Safe Mode, open the program and use the registry restore.

I never did find why that happened but it doesn't do it since the machine was upgraded to Win 10.

If you click on Settings - Log Location then on Open Log Folders you should see the dated log.

Double click on that and then on the Windows_Repair_Log.text which will open in Notepad.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:19:41 pm by Boggin »

Offline av1040

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:20:40 pm »
Thanks for your prompt reply. Please see the attached log. It would appear from the log that corrections were already applied even without the auto restart? Wonder why the message says that corrections will be applied after the boot?

What corrective actions can be taken to prevent a faulty driver from loading? Windows 10 device manager doesn't flag any defective/incompatible drivers?

How can the power off/power on button actions be remedied to have a smooth on/off operation?

Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 01:58:39 am »
Because the repairs are mainly registry repair/reset based, it takes a reboot to effect them.

It has been advocated to run the repairs a second time.

I've passed on about your machine not restarting after the repairs, but with it being a weekend, it may be Monday before I get a reply.

What problems are you having with power on/power off ?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:08:12 am »
- It's more complicated than this. Some repairs require a restart to get the changes taken into account (e.g. repair #26 and repairs that repair a bunch of Services) and others don't (e.g. #5).
- It also could mean that the software that's being used to restart Windows is corrupted. That software is build-in in Windows. In that case check the HD for errors (CHKDSK in Windows Repair) and/or run the command SFC /scannow (also in Windows Repair).