Author Topic: BSOD Came Back  (Read 5036 times)

Offline av1040

• View Profile
BSOD Came Back
« on: October 06, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »
I am using the latest Professional Version of Windows Repair (All in One). About 10 days ago, the problem with BSOD was solved using the software. However, the BSOD problem has returned. The laptop just stops working as the execution comes to a halt and the machine gets powered off. I am using the Widows 10 Creator Edition. I would greatly appreciate some guidance as to what triggers the BSOD and how can it be fixed permanently? I also have issues with Windows Shutdown and Restart.

Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BSOD Came Back
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:18:20 pm »
I'm not sure which of the program's repairs would have fixed a BSOD - they are usually caused by driver problems.

Some BSODs are just a glitch and it may have seemed like WR fixed the BSOD.

What were you doing when the BSOD occurred ?

Do you get a Stop Error Code ?

Can you check Event Viewer to see if it gives any details in a time stamped Critical or Error Event ID.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:07:16 pm by Boggin »

Offline av1040

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:30:41 pm »
Thanks for your prompt reply. BSOD was triggered when I was executing the fix error steps recommended by the Windows Repair software. There was no error code on the screen, the session just terminated and the laptop was powered off? Windows Device Manager doesn't flag any defective drivers. How else one can check which driver is the culprit? I didn't see any special diagnostic tool in Windows Repair Professional Edition?

Event Viewer to see if it gives any details in a time stamped Critical or Error Event ID  -- Is the Event Viewer log saved in any directory for subsequent analyses one the machine is turned off? If I can locate the mini dump at the time of crash, will it help to pinpoint what caused the BSOD and how to prevent it?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 02:21:01 am »
The driver may not actually be a system driver but belonging to a 3rd party program and uninstalling/reinstalling that program when identified could resolve.

You seem to be using a lot of memory in the log report.

I don't have time to run the program to check mine at the moment but memory can be taken up when there are a lot of programs enabled in Task Manager/Start-up.

I have very little running in mine as you will see from the attached snip.

If you've never been into Task Manager before, right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.

You may be presented with a blank window where you will need to click on More details on the bottom left and then click on Start-up.

When you open Event Viewer, ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't, just click on it and when it has read the data you will see the headings for Critical, Error etc.

Click on either then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane.

Clicking on any of the Event IDs will produce more details in the pane below.

BlueScreenView will analyse the mini dump files which you can copy & paste into your reply.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

There is a member who is quite experienced in dealing with BSODs who may pick up on your thread if/when he comes on.

I don't have anything on my computer that can read a mini dump file, so would have to rely on what BlueScreenView reported.

In Device Manager click on View/Show hidden devices and that will display more sections to check.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:25:04 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 02:51:13 am »
I've ran a quick repair and as you can see from my log, I have a lot more free memory of my installed 8GB RAM.