Author Topic: Win 7 - Win Update History Removed by Tweaking Program [SOLVED]  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Paz-3

• View Profile
Win 7 - Win Update History Removed by Tweaking Program [SOLVED]
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:41:15 pm »
Win 7 Pro - SP1
The tweaking program has helped me resolve or catch a couple of issues with Win 7, including with Windows Update, but one result I don't care for is that after running the program with all recommended settings (safe mode w/networking, discharging elec.), when I go to the Windows Update screen, all update history is gone. It says, 'Last check for updates: Never.'  Same for the other information.

Is there a cure for this, or should I take a screen shot of Updates before running 'Tweaking.' ?

I'm only a semi-nerd, not as familiar with Windows as I'd like to be. Does it even matter?

Tom F
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:32:47 pm by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 7 - Win Update History Removed by Tweaking Program
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:45:56 pm »
Part of the Windows Update repair is to remove all files from the SoftwareDistribution folder which removes your update history so it will show as never been updated, but won't affected installed updates.

This is nothing to worry about as it will repopulate as and when with future updates.

There are a series of commands which will do the same but it renames the folders to .old so reversing the cmds will restore to the original version, but WR removes those files so they will be gone.

If you want to go back to before the repairs executed then open the repair program and use the Registry Restore function which should put your history back.

These are the cmds run from an admin command prompt that can sometimes resolve update problems.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

You can copy & paste these cmds en bloc to the cmd prompt where they'll auto run except for the last one where you will need to press enter.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:00:09 am by Boggin »

Offline Paz-3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:10:12 pm »
Many thanks for the information! No issue for me, now.

:wink:

Tom F.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 01:32:13 pm »
Okay - I'll mark the thread as Solved.