Author Topic: Slow PC Special Time  (Read 5570 times)

Offline geometer

• View Profile
Slow PC Special Time
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:25:58 am »
The time between powering up and when startups start loading is inordinately long.

Running Win 7 Pro SP1;  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz''

TIA

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slow PC Special Time
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:02:17 pm »
Have you downloaded anything recently that will have inserted itself into the Startup menu ?

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Startup tab click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart then shut it down after the reboot.

If you are using a laptop then wait about 30 secs before switching back on to check if there's any improvement but if you are using a desktop PC then switch off at the wall socket then hold the power button in for about 30 secs so that you have a cold boot.

Other than that, Event Viewer may have something recorded as to anything having problems starting.

Are all of your drivers up to date ?

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:25 pm »
Boggin,

Apparently, I did not make the problem clear.

MSCONFIG confirms that I have 4 relatively small startups.

But, I am not talking about the time these startups take to load.  Nor am I talking about the time of those processes which are delayed in loading well after the startups have loaded.

Rather, I am talking about the time between when I power on and when the startups start to load.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:55:02 pm »
It's the same thing really and could be those 4 or your drivers.

Check Event Viewer.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 02:20:05 am »
Now that I've had a night's sleep, I now understand what you mean.

I think I'd be looking at the BIOS or Memory, but generally when you have problems with the memory, a machine won't boot.

If you have more than one RAM module installed then leave just one in and see if that makes any difference and then try the other(s).

Sometimes the pins can need a clean which you can gently do with a pencil eraser and then brush off any residue.

Ensure you only handle the cards by their edges and notice the position of the slot on the module.

As for the BIOS, if you are using an OEM branded computer, then go to its support site to see if there's a BIOS update, else Google for how to reset it for your make and model.

If you are using a purpose built non-branded machine then you would need to go to the motherboard support site for the BIOS update.

This site may also describe how to reset the BIOS.

If you find that the machine has problems booting with a particular RAM module then it will need replacing.

To ensure you replace it with a matching one, download the free version of Speccy which will give you the manufacturer and part number and then you'll need to Google for a supplier.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Expand RAM and then the Slots.

Offline satrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 04:21:59 pm »
I'd suggest that it's highly unlikely to be a memory issue, other hardware issues, esp. disk errors, would be far higher up my list. Memory issues are much more likely to cause BSODs, either during the Boot process or, most likely, at some 'random' point afterwards - the Boot BSOD is likely to be of a consistent type, a BSOD whilst running would be a much more random series of different types.

Study these pages and the flowcharts and try to be specific about where exactly your hang is:
https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/windows-7-startup.htm
https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/windows-7-startup-detail.htm

Give us full details of your hardware and the average Up Time given on the task Manager Performance tab when you open it via a right-click on the Taskbar as soon as you can after the initial Boot - 'good' times for the Windows startup using this method would be ~40 seconds for a HDD and ~10 seconds for an SSD. The initial BIOS boot times will vary enormously, depending on the motherboard, BIOS, hardware installed and disabled motherboard features.