Author Topic: Windows Repair 2018 hung up on task 8 of 47  (Read 5809 times)

Offline KenI254

• View Profile
Windows Repair 2018 hung up on task 8 of 47
« on: November 03, 2017, 02:25:59 pm »
Running most recent update to Windows 10, Ran through all four pre-scan options first, restarted in Safe Mode as directed, task 8 started at 10:39 am, its now 2:23.  CPU shows 0 unless I mouse over.  Drive Write shows 0 unless I mouse over.  I've checked for hidden permission boxes underneath the app screen, none there.  What should I do now?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair 2018 hung up on task 8 of 47
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:46:52 pm »
I'm not sure what that one does but if there's no CPU activity then stop the program.

You could try it again.

This is what MDAC does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Data_Access_Components and this is what MS Jet does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Jet_Database_Engine but don't know why they should have hung.

I'll ask about it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:51:53 pm by Boggin »

Offline KenI254

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
Tried something and broke it loose.  there is a second window called Administrator Repair, the note says writing has been halted, you know its working if there is CPU activity.  I closed that window, now I'm on task 18 and working...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:11:47 pm »
Okay - when I've run WR the CPU has shown constant activity without any interaction on my part.

I assumed from your opening post that the CPU wasn't showing any, but glad to see that it is progressing.

However, it does seem to have been running longer than I would have expected, so perhaps it had come up against something.

Offline KenI254

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:18:01 pm »
All done, took about 15-20 minutes after it sprung loose.  It appears there is an issue with the Administrator window causing a hangup with my system.  Restarting now so I will see what we accomplished.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:23:16 pm »
Why did you need to run WR ?

Offline KenI254

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:17:42 pm »
A number of small issues.  I have a current driver that I know is good but showing a problem in Device Manager.  I have lost the Bluetooth icon in Notifications, discovered when trying to add a USB Bluetooth dongle and not being able to make a connection.  Re-installation of an application I use a lot that I have since discovered in problematic with the connection to some financial websites I use.

Windows 10 just had a major upgrade and I wanted to make sure it didn't do damage with all the new stuff it added.  WR continues even after closing to reconnect file types to default apps, 22 so far in the notifications area.  System is running faster now, CPU at only 3% while PC is inactive.  I wish it saved a log so that I could see what was done.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 03:32:01 am »
It does create logs of the repairs

Open the program and click on Settings - General/Log Location - while you can see where they are located, click Open Log folder then click on the date of the log and as well as giving you an overall log, it will also give individual repair logs.

I'm not sure if this cmd run from a Command Prompt (Amin) will resolve your Bluetooth issues, but it performs a clean up of all network adapters.

Create a restore point and plug your dongle in prior to running the cmd.

As you've had the recent Fall Creators Update, open Windows Explorer - right click on This PC and select Properties and then System Protection.

Check to see that it is still turned on and you may have to reallocate how much space you want to allocate to the restore points by clicking on Configure.

netcfg -d

shutdown /r /t 00

Go back into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters after the reboot to see that they are all there - if not, run the cmd again.

I get those messages that this that and the other app have been reset to something else.

I even get those when I leave out the app repairs, but as I don't use a lot of them I just leave as they are but sometimes I have to change back Music and other stuff to Windows Media Player and PDFs to Adobe Reader.

To reinstall a driver, open Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices.

Expand whichever section the driver is in and right click on it and select Update Driver - Browse my computer - Let me choose..

You may need to scroll down a list to click on the relevant type or it can take you straight there.

Click on the driver and then on Next and that should get rid of the alert in Device Manager.

Let me know how things have progressed.