Author Topic: after running tweeking computer wont boot  (Read 4367 times)

Offline bs2000

• View Profile
after running tweeking computer wont boot
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:58:35 pm »
I a tweaking because windows 10 dev preview wouldn't update due to software that isn't on the computer anymore now the computer goes into a continues loop after the windows starting circle appears. All i can access is Command Prompt in windows PE environment. How do I restore the backup tweaking made prior to running?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: after running tweeking computer wont boot
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 01:05:56 am »
I don't think Windows Repair should be run on an Insider Preview because of its Beta qualities.

Shane has already disabled certain repairs in the program because of changes made to the registry following the Fall Creators Update in the released version.

You may be able to use your restore points if System protection is turned on.

To get to those, from the cmd prompt enter rstrui.exe and then you can see if there are any restore points.

From the cmd prompt you could also try a chkdsk /f, an offboot sfc /scannow as well as the bootrec cmds.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using the partition letter instead of the X I've used, enter the following cmd -

chkdsk x: /f

Follow that with this cmd, again using your partition letter instead of X

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

For clarity, that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \ and note there is a space before each /

There are three bootrec cmds you can run and they are -

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

You may get an error message with the /fixboot one - I do and the /rebuildbcd will look for volumes on your machine.

If you have a Windows.old on there then it will return 1 and do you want to include that - enter n

If it returns as 0 then enter y

If your machine dual boots with any other OS then don't run the /rebuildbcd.

Offline bs2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:03:24 am »
well i cant find an iso for inside build 16251 so i can rebuild with dism then SFC. and there is no way to run the backup tweating made before running?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:22:53 am »
What was the result from trying those other things I've suggested and what are you using to post with ?

Does this article help with creating 16251 install media - https://thewincentral.com/download-windows-10-build-16251-iso-rs_prerelease-rs_release-images/

If you are successful in creating install media from that article, you can boot up with that install media and carry out the same commands as I've already posted - or are you intending to perform a clean install ?