Author Topic: Registry compressor crashes upon compression  (Read 5720 times)

Offline kk159

• View Profile
Registry compressor crashes upon compression
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:43:05 am »
Hi,

I selected the Best compression setting and "Restart the system after finished" option.  After analyzing the registry and clicking the Compress button, Windows prompts that the registry compressor has stopped working.  The system automatically reboots within the next minute.  Is this kind of behavior normal?  I have closed every other program before running the registry compressor.

After the reboot, it created a smaller ntuser.dat.new file, but the old one didn't seem to get replaced, since the old one has a larger size.

I'm using Win 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate, and the latest registry compressor v1.1.0

The crash problem can be reproduced every time, and it happens to both my host pc, and a virtual machine with a clean install of Win 7 running on the host pc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:53:32 am by kk159 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Registry compressor crashes upon compression
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:27:25 pm »
I don't really see the point of compressing the registry but I'll pass this on.

I use the WinMend Registry Defrag program on my Win 7 laptop but not on the Win 10 machines.

http://www.winmend.com/registry-defrag/

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 04:45:27 pm »
You compress the registry to reduce the size and hence system resources needed to use it.  Frankly, there is no point to "cleaning" the registry without compressing it.

It sounds like something stopped the compressor. The .new file is the compressed version.  It may not be complete -so don't use it. However if you rename that and re-run will it work?

Offline kk159

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:44:55 pm »
I have never tried renaming the ntuser.dat, will Windows allow me to do that?
Sometimes inside C:\Windows\System32\config, one or two registry hives will not get replaced either, leaving .new files.
I think when it did replace the old one, it will leave .old files.

I strongly suspect that it's the DEP preventing the program from making changes to the system.  Today I was trying to run a 1997 game, upon clicking on it, the game program instantly stopped working.  So I added that program to the DEP's exclusion list, and I was able to run the game.  I tried adding registry compressors's executable to DEP's exclusion list, but I still get the program has stopped working message after I hit compress.  And I end up getting ntuser.dat.new again.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:46:39 pm by kk159 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:45:42 am »
You compress the registry to reduce the size and hence system resources needed to use it.  Frankly, there is no point to "cleaning" the registry without compressing it.

WinMend doesn't clean the registry, it just defrags and compacts it.

From a Google, very little improvement in performance has been noticed after compression, if any.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 01:04:17 pm »
Registry bloat used to be a big issue but it's not as important as it used to be.

Basically, the registry is loaded into RAM on boot. The smaller the faster it loads.  I just looked mine add up to like 200+ MB.

If I were to clean and compress I suspect it would drop the size in half.  hence loading and looking things up would be faster.

Given that I have a lot of ram on this machine and it is fairly fast - the 100 MB savings would be a negligible difference -  But it would be a difference.

But I suppose the registry is like anything else - you should periodically clean it up. That said, if you simply run a cleaner the keys become "null" or zeros so typically if you look at a cleaned registry and compare it to the old one. They would be of similar size. Compressing the registry just rid of the nullness. (I made that word up :) )

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 02:46:26 pm »
Sounds like a good word :D