Author Topic: 32-bit Programs Cannot Access Internet  (Read 17844 times)

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
32-bit Programs Cannot Access Internet
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:17:39 pm »
So a few days ago I wanted to allow a program through windows firewall but it said it wasn't configured properly and so after some trial-and-error I decided to try a restart to see if that would help matters. Upon restarting it seemed that my internet had failed. I switched between ethernet cord only, wireless only, or both, to troubleshoot if router settings were to blame, but none of the settings worked, and three other computers on the same router still have internet access. Skype still functions properly though, and a few downloads on steam were able to complete properly, however the browser portion of steam could not display anything and internet explorer and firefox both open up but fail to access any webpages. Later I discovered that the 64bit version of IE still works, but that doesn't help the fact that now of my other programs can reach the internet to download or update. Using net info, it seemed to state that "wsahost_not_found" was an issue with my local connection, and I've already tried various basic fixes like flushing winsock, setting dns to the public google dns, and also done numerous malware scans with various different tools in and out of safe mode.

When attempting to use the tweaking.com windows repair tool, I get the error on either step one or two that "execute processes remotely has stopped working"

Windows event log also shows the following errors, which I checked for following advice from another site:

1.The HomeGroup Provider service depends on the Function Discovery Provider Host service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

2.The Net.Tcp Listener Adapter service depends on the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

3. The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

4.The Net.Pipe Listener Adapter service depends the following service: was. This service might not be installed.

5.The Net.Msmq Listener Adapter service depends the following service: msmq. This service might not be installed.

6.Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:22:00 pm by fz5656 »

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
Re: 32-bit Programs Cannot Access Internet
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:18:31 am »
It looks like you may have some missing/corrupt sevices and/or their dependencies.

goto start > in search type cmd > right click on cmd.exe and select runas administrator > at the command promp type > sfc /scannow

When the scan is finished at the prompt type > lodctr /R
This should fix number 3 above. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775053(WS.10).aspx#CommunityContent  < see here for more info.

also goto start > right click on computer > manage > in the left hand pane > click the arrow next to Services and Applications to expand right click on service and click Export List... > give the file a name and under "Save as type" select Text (Comma Delimited) (*.csv) post this file.

BTW What is your OS ver? IE Windows 7 Ultimate 64
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:50:29 am by tbdawg »

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:31:29 pm »
I'm running Windows Home Premium

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:12 pm »
Vista? 7? I'm Guessing 64 bit from the info in your post. SP0, SP1, SP2?

And what were the results of the sfc scan? if you know.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:26:17 pm by tbdawg »

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »
Hm, I could've sworn I typed windows 7 up there, but there you go. Als the scan said some items were found to be corrupted but not items were able to be fixed.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »
Have you ran tdsskiller yet by chance?

The fact that some steam downloads finished and skype works yet no web pages do makes me think you might have a rootkit.

The reason why is the steam downloads ans skype use different ports than web pages. Web pages all use port 80. There are some rootkits that try to hijack web page search results which is on port 80.

SO I just want to cover all bases. Does ping work at all? Open a command Window and pin 8.8.8.8

Let me know the results :wink:

Shane

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 03:10:36 pm »
Looks like possible rootkit. IP Helper service isn't listed!

EDIT: lol guess I shouda refreshed the page first eh Shane!
AFTER any malware/virus/rootkit is removed!
Check Here for IP Helper service repair: http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,522.msg3717.html#msg3717

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:52:51 pm by tbdawg »

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:36:14 pm »
I have run tdsskiller a couple of times by now and I think it's always come up clean, I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem for a long while, heh. The folks on the malware forums at MajorGeeks had me run a number of scans and they said it didn't seem to be a malware issue - or at least I'd already cleaned it up before I went to them :/ The ping I've done before also, and it says that four packets were sent and received. Is it significant at all that the 64bit version of IE works just fine?

The batch file did say it activated the service correctly, though.

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 04:40:55 pm »
Have you tried the internet again since? Restart of the PC may be required!

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13:10 pm »
Restarted, still no internet for 32bit programs...

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »
Have you tried connecting in safe mode with networking? If not please boot into safe mode with networking and check if you can use 32 bit IE.

To boot into safe mode with networking restart the pc and press F8 while booting just after the BIOS screen. OR got to start > type msconfig.exe into search and press enter. > got to Boot tab > Under Boot Options check Safe boot and Network click OK and restart.

Also lets get the info from your sfc scan.
Open an elevated command prompt again and type the following:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfc_log.txt"

post the file.

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:26:25 pm »
No luck with 32bit programs in safe mode with networking, but see attached for log.

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »
Well as far as the corrupted file that cannot be fixed via sfc "PINTLGB.IMD" goes, this is a common issue with Asus (I'm assuming yours is one do to some asus services in your list) computers that have Windows 7 installs (my sons PC included). A reinstallation using the recovery discs will most likely NOT fix that file as the file on the recovery discs are usually also corrupted. You will need to find an original install disc for Windows 7 for your version and service pack (the one you are currently on) and extract the file. You also need to set the permissions and takeownership of the file, as it is a system file, in order to replace it. Info: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html Once you have a copy of the file you'll have to overwrite the existing file in all of its locations. Such as:

C:\Windows\IME\IMESC5\DICTS
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-i..lified-chinese-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_763763505e93084b
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-i..lified-chinese-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_74064f8861a484b1

The locations in the C:\Windows\winsxs\ may be different for you just do a search in explorer for the file there.
After you have done this the sfc /scannow may or may not report that file correctly (may still show as a mismatch).

As for you main issue:
Are you by chance running a Proxy or have you in the past? Or possibly a virus has changed those settings?
Also have you tried turning off your firewall? Or temporarily uninstalling any aftermarket programs that have a firewall with them such as your antivirus.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:18:58 pm by tbdawg »

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 10:11:21 pm »
I'll probably work with that file later, but negatory on the proxy on both counts, I've checked the connections tab in internet explorer for it before, and it also wouldn't explain my malwarebytes and couple of other programs unrelated to direct browsing can't access the internet.

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 11:03:41 pm »

Offline fz5656

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 11:46:31 pm »
By gum you've figured it out! Thank you so much for that, I can't believe weeks of googling didn't bring me across that article. Even the windows repair tool works fine now! My gratitude really cannot be expressed through mere words.

Offline tbdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 09:13:25 am »
Great glad it's working now!
As another bit of advice I would suggest that you choose and only have one antivirus that you use for day to day security.
Your services list suggested that you have multiple ones installed. IE avast, Hitman pro, Trend Micro etc. (Maybe just remnents from cleaning your PC) This can cause some conflict issues and some serious performance issues. I would uninstall (use a cleaner for that antivirus afterwards) only keeping one or uninstall all of them and get another such as MSE.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »
Good work tbdawg :wink:

Shane