Author Topic: Creating System Restore Point from within WRAIO  (Read 7143 times)

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Creating System Restore Point from within WRAIO
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:54:31 am »
I've brought this up before but creating a Windows System Restore point from within Window Repair All-in-One still doesn't seem to work properly, at least in Windows 7 Home Premium. It says it's created a Restore Point, and it shows up Windows Restore, but the backup process is completed extremely quickly and I can't believe it's a reliable Restore Point. I've just tried creating one again this morning and the situation is as before. I never use WRAIO to create a Restore Point, but a novice user might.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Creating System Restore Point from within WRAIO
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:24:52 am »
I've already raised this with Shane as it's the same for me in both Win 7 and 10.

At one time it would create the restore point in 7 but never has in 10 and now doesn't do it for 7.

I'll raise it again to see if it's on the list for amendments.

I think the current one being worked on is for v4.0.10 as it's taking out the MS Solitaire Collection in Win 10.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21:34 am »
Thanks - as I said, it's no big deal for me but could be catastrophic for someone who hasn't created a system backup and is relying on the restore point "created" within WRAIO.
Iain

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:52:02 pm »
- I don't think this is limited to WR only. Because when I use a different program (e.g. Restore Point Creator) then sometimes that new SRP isn't  the usual size (think:  GBs). In that regard the way Windows (in my case Win 7 SP1 Pro) creates these SRPs is very confusing and "opaque". It seems to have its own (opaque) logic when it comes to making those SRPs.

- Run Antibody's WizTree. It will show you the size of those SRPs which are placed in the folder "System Volume Information". When I look at what's happening over there then I can't "make hay" of it, from time to time it's VERY confusing. E.g. the size of that one folder can be say 80 GB with say 10 SRPs but when I remove 9 SRPs then the size of that one folder will shrink only (very) modestly. I then have to switch off and switch off the SRPs feature in Windows to free up all that occupied diskspace.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:25:06 pm »
Yes, it is confusing - I use Tree Size and examining those folders in the past has given me a headache - I was getting problems with the size of my SVI folder growing uncontrollably with Malwarebytes (happily resolved with later versions of the software) and making sense of what was going on was difficult. My main concern is that, when I have created a Restore Point using WRAIO, I've not been able to restore from it, so I don't trust it. By and large, Windows 7's inbuilt restore process has always worked for me. But it's always belt and braces for me - a combination of regular bootable backups and restore point backups to external detachable media using Casper 10 alongside registry backups in WRAIO and restore point creation in Windows.
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 02:17:50 am »
There's been a couple of times recently when an auto restore point has failed to restore, even in Safe Mode - but I also make regular images using Macrium Reflect Free to fall back on.

I haven't bothered trouble shooting it yet and I can't use WR on Win 10 at the moment as it's taking out the MS Solitaire Collection.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:06:42 am »
I've had a reply back from Shane on this and he can't replicate the problem.

I'll email him again to confirm that the restore points are actually listed as WR ones in System Protection.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:33:35 am »
Thanks - have a great Christmas and New Year.

Iain
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 06:47:04 am »
You too :)

Tom.