Author Topic: Using Windows Repair for the first time  (Read 4458 times)

Offline alexh9

• View Profile
Using Windows Repair for the first time
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:36:29 pm »
Hey everyone,

So my Windows 7 machine has been acting up lately, and I wanted to use the Tweaking Windows Repair program. I did an initial Check File System scan with the program, and I'm currently at the at the "Open Check Disk at next boot" option. When I click on this, it gives me the option for "fixes errors on the disk", my question is, do I need to do anything before I do this Check Disk function? Is this going to change my PC in any drastic ways, like the registry? I just want to make sure I'm prepared for this, and there wont be any surprises.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using Windows Repair for the first time
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 02:10:04 am »
I think a chkdsk is better done separate from the Command Prompt.

I have to go through this even if you already know it.

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter chkdsk /r

You will be prompted to type and enter y for it to execute on the next boot.

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 and let it do its thing after the reboot.

You can view its log in Event Viewer by going Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

Ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Application/Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable window - hopefully it won't report any KBs in bad sectors.

You can also perform a system file check with the cmd sfc /scannow from that cmd prompt.

For anything else, the program has an excellent Help section.

Before using a program like WR I would advocate creating a system image onto external media as I don't really trust restore points should you need to revert to before the repairs.