Author Topic: Windows 10 update goes strange  (Read 6132 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Windows 10 update goes strange
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:45 pm »
I did the big Windows 10 update a couple of weeks back after putting it of for as long as I thought I could.

As expected it think turned out strange.  It told be it was downloaded & ready to install.  I thought that I should create a restore point before I did but first I looked at already created restore points & found that it listed only one dated about 2 weeks earlier.  I should have had at least 4 or 5 to choose from going back many months.

I created another one & went ahead with the update.  It appeared to go OK except for the fact I kept finding several programs that I had deleted  from my machine up to 6 months earlier.

Every day I see strange things like tying to open a freeware program that I have used for at least a dozen years and asked to register it.

The first thing that I do everyday is run both Antivirus & Malware programs .The only thing ever found was a couple of PUK's which were quarantined & deleted. ( I can't understand why the Malware programs don't tell you where they came from).

Is anyone else having this  sort of things happen & will running your Tweaks help?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 update goes strange
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:56:04 am »
Some programs you may have to reinstall after a major update and if you check System Protection, you may find that the update has removed all previous restore points and with your System Protection showing as Off.

When viewing restore points and it doesn't display as many as you think it should, then check the box for Show more restore points.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 02:17:36 am »
I am not looking to reinstall programs. I have the opesite situation I have programs installed and working that I got rid of 6 months ago and I can't see why this happened.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:42:20 am »
That does seem strange - never heard of that before.

You could try reinstalling 1709 again as a repair install.

You can create install media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 but read the instructions as they differ for DVD and USB.

When you have created the install media, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the media and double click on its drive.

If using a DVD then that should start the process but if using an USB, that will open to the files where you would then double click on setup Application.

This doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs but correctly uninstall those programs first that you have gotten back.

Most programs have their own uninstaller which you should use rather than just using Windows Uninstall from Progs and Features as that tends to leave residue, which may have been the reason for the update resurrecting them - but that's just a guess.

Offline utbas1953

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 04:15:44 am »
Hi Boggin. Happy New Year. Would the free version of Revo Uninstaller be helpful to Phototaker?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:27:40 am »
Probably best to reinstall it and then use something like the free version of Revo although I normally use the free version of IObit Uninstaller, but you have to look for the check boxes that will install IObit's Advanced System Care tune up program if you intend to give that a try.

The download from majorgeeks.com tends not to include the unwanted bundled software.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_uninstaller.html