Author Topic: MSN apps stop working  (Read 5791 times)

Offline RT

• View Profile
MSN apps stop working
« on: December 31, 2017, 04:17:00 pm »
After running the repair tool on my desktop, MSN Money and MSN News no longer work.  The app appears to launch and then immediately disappear.  I have run the app troubleshooter, uninstalled and reinstalled, and just about every other fix I could find on the web.  I ran the repair on my laptop and the same two apps don't work there now either.

Windows 10 x64 version 1709

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MSN apps stop working
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 01:09:34 am »
v4.0.11 had a similar effect on some machines where the same happened to the MS Solitaire Collection.

I tried v4.0.11 on my two Win 10 upgraded laptops and while it took out Solitaire on the Intel based one, it had no effect on the AMD one.

I found that not even a repair install would reinstate it and passed it onto Shane as I will do with your report.

I assume you are using v4.0.11 ?

Prior to trying it out on my machines following a complaint about it, I created a system image as a fall back , so mine is restored.

Don't suppose you have any system images ?

Offline RT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:32:55 am »
I do have a full system clone from 15 days ago.  I’d sure like to fix this one small issue rather than giving up all the fixes the tweaking program actually accomplished.  Hopefully it’s something  simple.  I did fix the reparse points as well.  Don’t know if that could be a problem.  The only other issue I had, which wasn’t much of a problem, is that it reset all of my default programs.  Firefox to Edge, Outlook to windows mail and the like.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:45 am »
No it wouldn't have been the Reparse point fix as v4.0.10 didn't take out the Solitaire Collection for me.

When I've run WR on mine I uncheck any repairs for the apps but on the reboot I always get a number of notifications that there was a problem with such and such an app and it had been reverted to whatever.

I'd use that system image to resolve the MSN problem but why did you need to run WR ?

You could uninstall 4.0.11 using its own uninstaller and then install 4.0.10 from https://filehippo.com/download_tweaking-com-windows-repair/ to run the repairs again.

The link is in the right pane.

Offline RT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:00 am »
My Solitaire Collection seems unaffected.  As far as I can tell, only MSN news and MSN money took the hit.

I ran the repair after experiencing several system freezes over the last month.  For what it's worth, I haven't had one since the repair, but it is still early.  I can do without the MSN news, but I sure would like to get MSN money working again - or at least find a suitable replacement.  None of my other apps seem to be affected.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:11:51 pm »
I'd restore with the image, uninstall 4.0.11 and install 4.0.10 from the link I've posted and then run WR again to see if that also resolves the freezes.

Did Event Viewer or reliability history have anything recorded for the freezes ?

Offline RT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 03:16:53 pm »
I see this on event viewer - The server Microsoft.BingFinance_4.21.2212.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!AppexFinance did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:18:08 am »
You could be talking about millisecs which can produce those errors - I just ignore those.

They may appear on one boot but not when you start up next time.

Offline RT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 09:50:41 am »
Well, considering how everything is running, I'm going to leave it alone and find another app to run in place of the two dead ones.  I hope Shane can use some of this to fix the flaw, and if he needs anything from me, let me know.  We could do a remote session and let him poke around to see if he finds anything.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:01 pm »
I think Shane is already working on it.