Author Topic: Windows Repair reset my program defaults  (Read 5101 times)

Offline radar

• View Profile
Windows Repair reset my program defaults
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »
I own a Pro license and had a problem when I ran Windows Repair a few days ago.  After running through all of the repair process (yes, it was done after doing a Safe Boot), I found that all my default applications mapped to file types had been reset to the Windows 10 defaults.  :angry: :angry:

How do I set Windows Repair to NOT change these default mappings and how do I get back to the mappings I had BEFORE I ran Windows Repair?

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair reset my program defaults
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:28:48 pm »
Hopefully the Registry Restore option will do it for you.

Boot into safe Mode with Networking and open the Repair program then click on Backup Tools and then on Restore on the Registry Backup.

Click on the Restore Registry tab then use the dropdown to select the back up then click on Restore Now.

I don't know why it has changed those to default - it's never done that on mine, although after the reboot even though I uncheck all boxes for the apps repairs, I'll get notifications there was a problem with such and such an app and it has been reverted to whatever, but my WMP and Adobe Reader settings haven't been changed.

I also use the Pro version.

What was your reason for running the repair program ?

Offline radar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:45:18 pm »
so far the default app setting for various graphics files (phg, jpg, jpeg, etc) were reset to the Windows 10 Pictures viewer instead of what I had set (Windows 7 Photo Viewer) and those for my music files (mp3) were changed.

I recently built a new PC and before running Acronis to make a backup Image I ran Repair to see if anything was amiss on my newly built PC.  20-20 hindsight says I should have made an image  FIRST, then run Repair, then made another Image.  Oh well.

thanks for your suggestions for fixing things.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:06:56 pm »
I always have a Macrium image to fall back on when I run anything that can change the registry or other stuff.

I agree, Hindsight is a marvellous thing :)