Author Topic: Tweaking Windows Repair stuck on repair job 8 out of 43  (Read 5910 times)

Offline Jim Brown

• View Profile
Tweaking Windows Repair stuck on repair job 8 out of 43
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:56:41 am »
Following a Windows 10 update, I found I was unable to access my printer or most websites, getting a window stating that a problem had occurred in Bit Defender Threat Scanner, a program that I have never downloaded. I tried to resolve the problem by Restore, but none of my Restore attempts succeeded, after a lengthy Restore getting the message that my computer's system had not changed because System Restore could not access a file. It advised me to disable my anti-virus and try again. I switched off my router, disabled my Kaspersky anti virus and tried to Restore again, but with always the sdame result.

As a result of an article in my Computeractive magazine I download Windows Repair Pro Free and was initially very impressed with its detailed and comprehensive program. It found 43 errors and repaired the first 7 within 3/4 hour. I was so impressed with it that I resolved once my system was successfully repaired I would purchas a Pro copy in appreciation.

However, I am now in serious trouble as the programme has been stuck at repair job 8 for the past 19 hours, since 3.05pm yesterday!
The Drive Read remains at 0 Bytes, The Drive Write varies between 0 Bytes and 55.65 Bytes, Memory used is 1.79 GB and the CPU Usage varied between 12 and 16 %

I am frightened to turn off the computer as I had a warning not to do so at the beginning of Tweaking Window Repair so have no option but to let it continue until I get proper advice.

Can someone please email me at [email removed by Moderator for security purposes] with advice on what I can do?
Thank you - I am nearly 86 and really need help with sorting the Tweaking programme.
Jim Brown
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:08:37 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking Windows Repair stuck on repair job 8 out of 43
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:26:08 am »
Hi Jim - all help will be given in the open forum and I have removed your email address as you could end up getting all sorts of messages.

You can stop the program without any adverse effects, but the MSJet has been related to MS Office which uses that and a solution has been found by going into Programs and Features, right clicking on MS Office and selecting Change or Repair.

As the CPU was still registering usage then  the program will still have been working but had run into a problem.

If you don't use MS Office then start the program again to see how it performs.

Why did you need to run the program a second time if it had previously resolved your problems ?

This is the only article I've found with a removal tool for Bitdefender, but if you go Start, is Bitdefender listed in the programs ?

If it is, then expand it where it may have its own uninstaller.

https://www.techsupportall.com/bitdefender-uninstall-tool/

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:32:45 am »
Probably best to reboot before starting the repair program again.

Offline Jim Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:45:02 am »
Thank you very much for that useful reply (I am lucky to have a second PC to be able to access email)
No, I didn't start the programme a second time and I dont have either BitDefender or MS Office on my PC
I will now see what I can do to resolve the probem
Best regards

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 02:52:48 am »
You can still run the Bitdefender uninstaller should there be some residue.

Unwanted programs can cause problems for the repair program.