Author Topic: Windows Repair tool 4.0.12 issues  (Read 8328 times)

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
Windows Repair tool 4.0.12 issues
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:51:10 pm »
Hello,

I'm having issues with running the repair tool. I've tried running it multiple times and each time it fails after 4 attempts. It tells me to run the program in Safe Mode and even there it fails. It doesn't matter which preset I choose it still fails at repair 1/7 every single time. I've disabled my antivirus(Security Essentials) and my pc is not connected to the internet. Is there an older version of the software that will work better with Windows 7 64 bit? Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair tool 4.0.12 issues
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:14:23 pm »
There are older versions you can try by selecting the ones in the right pane of https://filehippo.com/download_tweaking-com-windows-repair/ but have you run an antimalware scan ?

The free version of MBAM is a decent one to use - https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Click on Scan in the left pane then on Custom Scan/Configure Scan and check the box for C: then on Scan.

Infections or adware can interfere with the repair program as well as the running of Windows.

You said you have issues with your system - what are they ?

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:20:27 pm »
Thanks for the response!

I already ran mbam prior to using the windows repair tool. It found issues and quarantined them. My issue now is that I can't use the internet. It's connected but when I open a browser it won't load anything. So whatever malware I had on the machine must have damaged a system file(s). I tried running combofix prior to using the repair tool but it gets stuck at outputting to a folder every time I run it. So I decided to try this windows repair tool and I'm getting fail repair attempts every time I run it. I just now tried an older version and same issue. So I guess at this point I'm almost ready to format and re-install W7.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 02:28:10 pm »
Was it just a normal scan you performed with MBAM or the Custom one as I've suggested ?

Can you connect in Safe Mode with Networking ?

It's possible that you still have adware on the machine.

Go Start - type iexplore -extoff and press enter.

That will open IE without add-ons - click on the home page icon to see if you can browse.

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 02:37:07 pm »
Went into safe mode w/networking and tried "iexplore -extoff" and it loaded up IE w/o addons but still doesn't load any websites.

Now trying a custom scan w/mbam as you suggested. My other issue with mbam is I can't update it but I downloaded the latest installer.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 02:39:28 pm »
What are you using to post with ?

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 02:47:29 pm »
My laptop. My desktop pc is the one with the issue.

Using a usb drive to transfer files like mbam and the windows repair tool to my desktop pc.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 02:49:47 pm »
Is there a yellow alert on your wireless icon in the system tray ?

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 02:54:38 pm »
Nope. I even tried diagnosing the connection and it found no issues. Also checked device manager to see if there was anything wrong with the network adapter and no issues there.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 03:03:09 pm »
That custom scan will take quite a while to run, but if you are still unable to browse after, go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter these cmds and then see if you can browse after the reboot.

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

shutdown /r /t 00

If necessary, follow the steps for Win 7 in this article to reset the Hosts File as an infection can leave the wrong instructions in there.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

Prior to MS pulling all support for Win 7, MS used to have a Fixit for this, but now you have to do it manually.

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 05:08:32 pm »
Well its still in the process of doing the scan but I think I resolved my issue with the windows repair tool. When I tried to open a command prompt window to do what you said it wouldn't open up. I typed "cmd" in the run field and nothing happened. So I went into accessories and it shows "Command Prompt" but when I click it nothing happens. Turns out the file was damaged and when I did a "sfc /scannow" it repaired it. Now the windows repair tool is working properly. Probably the reason why combofix wasn't working either.

Anyways, mbam has scanned over 100k files now and still hasn't found a threat. I'll continue to let it finish and see what it comes up. Thanks for your help.

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 07:20:53 pm »
Scan completed and no infections found.

And fixing command prompt allowed me to run the Windows Repair tool which fixed being able to browse websites. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 12:32:42 am »
It's best to ascertain you are infection free, but how did you perform a sfc /scannow when the cmd prompt didn't work ?

Offline Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 07:38:45 am »
When I clicked start and typed the command into the search field it ran it. If that didn't work I was going to reboot and try running it using Windows repair from the installation CD.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 07:49:06 am »
Hmm.. strange.

Anyway, good to see everything is back as it should be.

If you go back to your opening post and click on Modify, you can add [SOLVED] to the thread title if there's nothing else.