Author Topic: Windows Update not working after using Windows Repair v3.9.32 (SOLVED)  (Read 7411 times)

Offline paladin

• View Profile
Hi guys,

I'm still using Win 7 Ultimate, and previously I had a problem with Windows Update failed updating at startup (stuck at 68% - I'm not sure what kind of update it was downloaded).
Then I use Windows Repair v3.9.32 and choose only Repair Windows Update.
What it does - it clean up all updates list in my computer - it'ok though - but then I cannot run Windows Update at all. It always returned error when trying to search update. Error code: 8024402F

Any suggestion?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:26:59 pm by paladin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Update not working after using Windows Repair v3.9.32
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 02:40:05 am »
I've found a couple of similar links for steps that may resolve that update error, but have you ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter to see what that reports ?

http://www.errorlive.com/error-code-8024402f

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-windows-update-error-8024402f/

Disregard the bit about downloading Reimage in the second one.

The following cmds will manually reset the Windows Update components -

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then copy & paste these cmds to the Command Prompt.

They will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press Enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Enter exit to close the cmd window.

The SoftwareDistribution folder contents will already have been removed by the update repair in Windows Repair but that doesn't matter.

Depending upon what Windows Update Troubleshooter reports, you may need to download and run the Windows Update Readiness Tool (SURT).

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_system_update_readiness_tool.html

Select the 32 or 64 bit as suits your version.

Its log can be found in Windows C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Offline paladin

• View Profile
Re: Windows Update not working after using Windows Repair v3.9.32 (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:30 pm »
Hi Boggin, thanks for your reply.

Yes you're right, I did found several similar topic, and follow some of them, and now it fixed. I just come back to mark this post as SOLVED.
I'm following advice to run "sfc /scannow". It did find errors and suggesting to restart. I did restart the computer, and check using Windows Update - at first it still produce same error - but then it worked.

Just for your information, this is the "sfc /scannow" result on screen.
It said it found some error and unable to fix some of them - does it mean I still has some files that are not 100% functional?

And, thanks for your suggestion, I will keep that on my note incase I had problem in the future.

Cheers,
----------------------------------------------------------------
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

C:\Windows\system32>
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:26:15 pm by paladin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Update not working after using Windows Repair v3.9.32
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:34:44 pm »
Can you run another sfc /scannow and see if it still reports it is unable to repair all files.

If it does, then copy & paste this cmd to the cmd prompt and press enter.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS log in Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box, but before you copy & paste the CBS log, download and run SFCFix.exe - you can post its report as well.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

Offline paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:56:58 pm »
Hi Boggin,

Thanks for your advice. I have run the SFC /scannow again, and then SFCFix.
Here is the CBS.log file. I think it said the corrupted file is bootres.dll (?)
The SFCFix log also mentioned the same, see below.
SFCFix was asking Windows installation DVD to repair corrupted file, however I need time to find it as it been more than 5 or 6 years ago. So I continue without DVD.

However looking at the summary below, that the corrupted file is just 1 bootres.dll, could I just manually replace with one I found here : http://originaldll.com/file/bootres.dll/10750.html

And actually I wonder how the bootres.dll would affect the Windows Update error that I previously experienced, what do you think?

Thank you & best regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2018-01-17 05:43:50.588
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-bootres_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_9d42c69298905ee5\bootres.dll

SUMMARY: Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically. Seek advice from helper or sysnative.com.
   CBS & SFC total detected corruption count:     1
   CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count:  0
   CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count:        0
   SURT total detected corruption count:          0
   SURT total unimportant corruption count:       0
   SURT total fixed corruption count:             0
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.

Failed to generate a complete zip file. Upload aborted.

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2018-01-17 06:43:28.997
----------------------EOF-----------------------

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:13 pm »
It's never advisable to download a DLL file from a 3rd party website as they could carry some nasties with them - they are always best got from the source.

If you have a valid retail product key, you can download a Win 7 SP1 ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Scroll down the page and enter your product key and if it accepts it then it will release the download and select Save.

You can then use Windows USB/DVD burner tool to create either a bootable DVD or USB.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

If you don't have the Win 7 product key to hand, it may be listed when you go Start - right click on Computer and select Properties and scroll down to the bottom of the page - else download the free version of Speccy.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

When it has analysed your system, click on Operating System and it will display your product key.

With the install disk, go Start - Computer - insert the DVD and double click on its drive.

This will start the process for a repair install that won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

However, I'm not sure if an offboot sfc /scannow would replace that DLL.

To perform that you would need to boot up with an install disk that included SP1 and navigate to the Install screen to click on Repair your computer.

Navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt.

At the prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using that partition letter instead of the X I have used, enter -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

That will check your volume against the install disk and will hopefully repair without the need to do a repair install.

You need to enter that bcdedit cmd as it doesn't always see the volume in C: in that mode.

For clarity, that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \ and note the space before each /

EDIT - I don't have anything to open a .rar file - if you right click on the desktop icon - Send to and zip it up, you can attach it that way, but if it only reports the same as SFCFix.exe then there's no need.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:41:37 pm by Boggin »

Offline paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:15 pm »
Hi Boggin,

Finally, after struggling with dust, I found my Win7 install DVD.
By the way, after reading your explanation, do you suggest to obtain the SP1 version of DVD?
Becoz the one that I have is quite ancient, see it yourself the image :D
If so then it would take some time to download.

Also attached is the CBS.zip. I don't really understand the whole of them, but from somewhere at the end it mentioned corrupted bootres.dll.
I attached it just in case I made a hasty conclusion.
At the moment maybe I need to get the SP1 version of DVD.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:29:55 am »
Yes, your install disk has to match the version you now have installed which is the SP1 version for to perform either an offboot sfc /scannow or repair install.

The download is ~3.09GB and when I was on ADSL with a download speed of ~6Mbps I think it used take ~1hr 20mins.

I usually Ethernet connect when downloading a large file so that I'll get the best download speed and wired can be more stable than a wireless connection.

Given that you had run a sfc /scannow prior to running Windows Repair, this CBS log has quite a lot in it with moving files.

I wonder if WR did that ?

I'll run a sfc /scannow on my Win 7 and save the CBS log, run WR and then another sfc /scannow to compare.

I looked up that bootres.dll and was wondering if a offboot sfc /scannow would fix it as it could have been corrupted by a 3rd party program, but as it's referenced by MS Windows Client Features, it may do.