Author Topic: windows 10 update has corrupted os, error code is memory management - help!  (Read 4750 times)

Offline deucecourt2003

• View Profile
hello -
for the 4th time in less than a month, my computer is down, this time perhaps for the count.  microsoft solved the first instance, files and docs were preserved, i solved the 2nd and 3rd times with win 10 repair disc, then windows 10 repair drive, but now, after 4 hours on the phone with dell, it appears i may have to use the disc they are sending me to reinstall the os without being able to rescue my files and docs.  the external hard drive i ordered for system image purposes will arrive, too late, tomorrow (ordered 12 hours before this latest problem).
the computer will not boot.  bsod, error code is memory management, and this after i upgraded to windows 10 pro to exert control over when updates were installed (i set it for 45 days AFTER issue of an update, but...).
any advice would be appreciated.  will the tweaking (pro) tool help to solve my problem at this point?  and if so, how?
thanks -

deucecourt2003

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You would need to at least be able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking to run the repair program.

What were you doing when you first got this error ?

If you can still boot with the repair disk, can you see if you have any restore points that you can try ?

I'm not sure if an offboot sfc /scannow will resolve but for this you will need a Win 10 install disk.

I don't know what you are using to post with but if you have access to or can get access to another computer, you can create a Win 10 install disk by going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Read the instructions as the procedure differs for DVD and USB.

Uncheck the box for use recommended for this machine.

If you can boot up with the install disk, navigate to the Install screen and click on Repair your computer then click on Troubleshoot to select Command Prompt.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Using your partition letter instead of the X I've used, enter this cmd -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Note the space before each /

This will take a while to run but won't show a % progress.

Offline deucecourt2003

• View Profile
thank you.

simply booting, for the third time that day when i got the error.  just before that, itunes went wonky as did my wd mycloud backup...

can't boot at all beyond bsod.  can't get to restore points, which i have created and turned on.

it's a dell desktop (i'm on my acer laptop right now) and has supportassist (a dell program), which it cycles into from the bsod, runs a hardware scan and finds nothing wrong...and then goes around again, not being able to get off that merry-go-round.

i don't have any partition letters!  everything is designated drive 0, and we (dell and i) used rufus etc twice, once as MBR after GPT didn't work...neither did MBR.

i will try the win 10 install disk you suggest...i suspect this is what dell is sending me, and charging me 19.99 for!

thank you again -

deucecourt2003

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Drive 0 is Disk Management - that bcdedit cmd is for to see where it sees the OS as it doesn't always see it as in C: in that mode.

I got the impression that Dell were sending you factory reset disks, but 19.99 sounds cheap.

Toshiba charged me about £30 for a disk for one of my Win 7 laptops and about £40 for an USB for the other - they are both upgraded to Win 10 now though.

When you are talking about MBR do I assume your machine was upgraded from Win 7 as more modern machines have an UEFI BIOS and to boot up with external media you normally have to turn off Secure Boot, but as you have booted with a repair disk then I guess it is the older MBR BIOS.