Author Topic: Can I run Windows Repair from Win10 PE boot Disk?  (Read 11126 times)

Offline mingus

• View Profile
Can I run Windows Repair from Win10 PE boot Disk?
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:26:20 pm »
I have a PC that is in a constant loop and cannot install a Windows 10 update. keeps trying to restore to a previous version of windows.

have not been able to get it to boot into Safe Mode.

Possible to run Windows Repair from a WinPE boot disk?

it fixed an update problem with another PC here.

just purchased the pro version.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:35:47 pm by mingus »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can I run Windows Repair from Win10 PE boot Disk?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:36 am »
The repair program needs to be run from within Windows.

When you boot up with a disk, that loads into memory and not the OS.

Which version of Windows is it trying to restore to ?

I normally use a Win 10 install disk to navigate to the Install screen to select Repair your computer and can be created at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Read the instructions as the procedure differs for a DVD and USB.

This will give you version 1709.

I would select the Restore point option to see if it could be restored to a date before the update appeared and then on the reboot open Windows Explorer - This PC - with the install disk inserted, double click on its drive which will start a repair install which won't affect personal stuff or any installed programs.

It may be worth disabling a 3rd party antivirus program and ensuring all drivers are up to date before proceeding with the repair install as the default is to install all updates during the process.

Offline mingus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:53:24 am »
I guess it's trying to update to 1709 from an earlier version, maybe 1703?

so if I am able to get it to restore back to an earlier time/version, and it boots up, using the 1709 boot disk to install Win10 over older version will perform an upgrade and still leave all apps and files?

I'm a little confused on "double click on its drive" I guess you mean the install media, in this case, would be a DVD with 1709.

what would be wrong with running Windows Repair if it boots back to an earlier time and reset Windows Updates?

maybe windows update is working just not able to install due to maybe a driver issue etc.

thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:08:16 am »
Yes, in This PC when you have something external plugged in you will see the drive that it is using and with the install disk inserted, double click on it then.

Using a 1709 install disk will manually update to 1709 which is how I updated one of my Win 10 laptops.

This won't affect any personal stuff or installed programs and is how you can perform a repair install of the existing OS.

You could let it revert then go Start - type winver and press enter then you will see which version of Windows you are now on.

If reverting gets you back in then you could check that all drivers are up to date.

I think I once had a problem with the Intel Management Engine Interface which is in Device Manager/System Devices and right clicking on it and selecting Update driver and using the default search online, found an updated driver for it, but depending upon what your CPU is based on, then it could be video or Chipset drivers.

You could try Windows Repair after creating a system image onto external media such as an external HDD but I'd run Windows Update Troubleshooter first to see what that reports.

There are a series of cmds that will reset the Windows Update components and are run from a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell run as an admin.

If you want to try these if the troubleshooter doesn't fix, then copy & paste these cmds to the command prompt where they'll auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot then go back into Windows Update where' you'll probably have to perform a manual check for updates.

The SoftwareDistribution cmd removes your update history but doesn't affect any updates already installed.

Offline mingus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:44:59 pm »
well, unable to get anywhere on this.

dead end.

Offline mingus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:59:44 pm »
this command just give me "syntax of command is incorrect"

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

I booted to Win10 PE USB and was able to delete the files in the SoftwareDistibution folder.

still only get "Restoring your previous version of Windows" forever.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:20:15 pm by mingus »

Offline mingus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:34:17 pm »
It booted! after deleting in files in the SoftwareDistribution folder and rebooting a couple times its back with a super old version of windows.

AMD CPU, I think there is a recent Microsoft update for this.

can I run my new Windows Repair Pro now? 

thanks for all the pointers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 02:38:17 am »
Do you need to run the repair program as things seem to have sorted themselves out ?

Some are having problems after running the program on Win 10 so I'd advise creating a system image onto an external HDD first.

MS had released an out of cycle patch to counter the Meltdown and Spectre threats but the one for AMD was causing that many problems that they withdrew it and we are still waiting for a modified patch.

This month's updates didn't include the usual Cumulative Rollup because of that.

Offline mingus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 08:17:45 am »
It updated last night. I ran SFC /scannow it found errors and repaired all of them. Chkdsk found errors and repaired.

Its AMD A8-3800 not sure if it's affected, but I do see the KB4073290 Jan 17th out of cycle patch, might be worth installing?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073290/unbootable-state-for-amd-devices-in-windows-10-version-1709][url]https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073290/unbootable-state-for-amd-devices-in-windows-10-version-1709[/url]

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4073290

thanks again

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 08:48:05 am »
Your first link returns an correct address but I've found this one - https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/17/windows-10-kb4057142-kb4057144-and-kb4073290-released/

None of those have been offered for either of my two Win 10 laptops, although this one is Intel.

I've checked my AMD one and KB4056892 was installed on the 18th Jan. - it may be that neither of those updates apply to mine.

However, I do have an AMD Win 7 machine which was getting a BSOD after installing the 3rd Jan. out of cycle patch so when I get time, I'll see if a newer one has been offered to that machine.

There doesn't appear to be any reported ill effects from that update so it should be okay to go ahead and install it.

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/102592-cumulative-update-kb4073290-windows-10-v1709-build-16299-194-64-bit.html