Author Topic: computer freezes  (Read 7595 times)

Offline irae92217

• View Profile
computer freezes
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:57 am »
My computer freezes every time I try to run Windows Repair all-in-one pro 4.0.13. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:05:09 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: computer freezes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:07:45 am »
I've removed your personal details as you could have ended up with a load of spam emails.

Are you saying that the program won't run at all or the machine freezes after the reboot after running it and if  the program won't run at all, have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking first ?

Offline jefflr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:12:17 am »
Hi, I am new both to Tweak and to this forum.
I ran tweak for the first time today. I used safe mode and followed all the instructions with care. 45 problems were identified and the repair process began. When it got to number eight it stayed there for three hours before I dared to do anything.
Read and write both showed zero and it had used 1.5 Gb. The cpu was showing between 1.2 and 1.8 mostly.
Since it was obviously frozen in that I could not get a response to mouse clicks anywhere I had to switch of the mains power to shut down. The PC restarted ok but with lots of aps and setting reset to default.

I am running Win 10 (64) with an AMD A6-6310 APU Processor. Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards,

Jeff.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:36:51 am »
Hi, I am new both to Tweak and to this forum.
I ran tweak for the first time today. I used safe mode and followed all the instructions with care. 45 problems were identified and the repair process began. When it got to number eight it stayed there for three hours before I dared to do anything.
Read and write both showed zero and it had used 1.5 Gb. The cpu was showing between 1.2 and 1.8 mostly.
Since it was obviously frozen in that I could not get a response to mouse clicks anywhere I had to switch of the mains power to shut down. The PC restarted ok but with lots of aps and setting reset to default.

I am running Win 10 (64) with an AMD A6-6310 APU Processor. Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards,

Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

It's best to open your own thread as I'd be answering two different problems in this one.

I wasn't aware the program identified problems before running the repair other than in the Pre-Scan, but Repair 08 has been reported as sticking and sometimes running a chkdsk /r followed by a sfc /scannow has resolved.

Let me know if the sfc /scannow reports it is unable to repair some files.

If that doesn't resolve Repair 08 hanging then open another Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

If this reports that the volume is repairable, then enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then run another sfc /scannow to see what it reports.

It may be a better option for you to perform a repair install which doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs, but see how you get on with those cmds.

I'll go through that procedure later if required or if you want to know for future ref.

When I run the repair program on my Win 10 machines I also get notifications of problems with apps and that they've been reverted, but that is with all app repairs unchecked and the program having run to completion.

Open your own thread and I'll continue in that one.

You can copy & paste your opening post into the new one.

Tom.

Offline jefflr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:31:36 am »
Hi Tom, Thanks for your prompt reply. As a (struggling 'silver surfer') newbie I can't see how to start a new thread. Sorry if I'm being dim!
Jeff.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:44:25 pm »
Hi Tom, Thanks for your prompt reply. As a (struggling 'silver surfer') newbie I can't see how to start a new thread. Sorry if I'm being dim!
Jeff.

Hit the "New Topic" button, highlighted in the red box as shown in the attached screenshot   :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:37 pm »
Thanks for jumping in with that, Samson.