Author Topic: Tweaking damaged computer!!! SORRY IT WAS MY HARD DRIVE!!!  (Read 5077 times)

Offline jingle

• View Profile
Tweaking damaged computer!!! SORRY IT WAS MY HARD DRIVE!!!
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:08:33 pm »
THE FAULT TURNS OUT TO HAVE BEEN MY HARD DRIVE - NOT TWEAKING COMPUTER PROGRAMME.  MY APOLOGIES.

I don't know if my previous topic, (5 minutes ago) went or not???  I pressed, "Post" and was told I was not allowed that page???  Maybe this site was made by the same person as Tweaking?

I ran Tweaking.com on Friday morning as per instructions and clicked the button on the final page for it to restart.  Since then all I have is a completely black screen.  I have tried everything I can, which is very little.

I had to take it to the shop, (initial payment of £45)  They say it will need a clean install!  Not good news.

Have you any ideas that may help please?

Thanks

John.    I will try to send it again!   This time I tried Alt+s and nothing happened 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:50:58 am by jingle, Reason: MY ORIGINAL MISTAKE. »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking damaged computer!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »
What was your reason for running the repair program ?

If you have access to another machine then create a Kaspersky Rescue Disk and see if it will boot up with that and then use the graphics option.

It's best to Ethernet connect for it to update its Definitions.

https://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk

You haven't said which version of Windows you are using but if you haven't already changed the boot order, then you will need to go into the BIOS to bring the CD/DVD drive to the top.

A Kaspersky Rescue Disk in some cases can get a machine back up and running after a reboot.

If you need further instructions for the BIOS then I will need to know which version of Windows you are using.

However, I'll pass this on.

Offline jingle

• View Profile
Re: Tweaking damaged computer!!! SORRY IT DID NOT!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:33:54 pm »

MY APOLOGIES TO EVERYONE.  THE REPAIR SHOP HAVE JUST TOLD ME THAT MY HARD DSIVE IS FAULTY.  THE PROBLEM WAS NOT "TWEAKING COMPUTER'S" FAULT.

Hi Boggin,

Sorry, there was full info on my first post but that was deleted when I posted it.

It is an oldish, desktop computer with Windows 10 Pro.  There were a few occasional, small faults.  Difficulty opening some docs, crashing with some photo editing programmes, slow and various annoyances.  A restart sometimes cured them.

I have run Tweaking a few times over the years with no problems, I don't know if it ever cured anything?

On Friday morning, I ran some antivirus scans which found nothing.  Then ran Tweaking, asking it to back up the register and to run Checkdisc on next start up.  When finished, I clicked the box for it to restart the computer and it closed down.

I left it to restart but it didn't restart, the screen was black - nothing!  Eventually I tried  "Alt/Cntrl/Delete"pressed F keys etc.  also switched off and tried to start it a few times.

On startup, the usual, white writing appeared, then a small picture of a "Window" as normal, then just a black screen which showed the mouse cursor only on the second screen, nothing else.  I have 2 monitors as I used to be a photographer.

I needed a document to use the next day for an event at church, so I took it to the repair shop about noon on Friday but had to hastily rewrite my notes which took hours!

Today, Monday, the shop says it will probably need a clean install.  This will cause a lot of hassle and time.  I have a laptop and will try the Kapersky rescue disk and take it into the shop as they still have it, I have copied your instructions for the shop, I hope you don't mind.

If you have any more ideas, anything I or the shop could try, I really would appreciate it.

Many thanks

John.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:54:34 am by jingle, Reason: MY ORIGINAL MISTAKE. »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking damaged computer!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:07:37 am »
On two occasions the Kaspersky disk has helped me out of a black screen and white cursor as it was the only thing that would boot up - not even an install disk would boot.

My black screens were due to my doing a power shutdown when a restore point had hung.

The first time the scan took about 9hrs and I went for the reboot on its completion, went away to make a cup of coffee and when I came back, found a chkdsk /f in progress.

The second time, the machine booted up after the scan.

I don't know what repair properties the disk has but I was glad it was able to sort mine out.

From what I understand, was the black screen following a chkdsk prior to running the repairs and not as a result of running the repair program ?

The program from memory, initially only runs chkdsk in read-only mode without repairing anything, but if you got the black screen only after running the chkdsk and the anomalous problems you had prior, could point to the HDD failing.

The repair shop may have something like a Seatools for DOS disk that you can boot up with which you can run a number of tests on the HDD.

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

Do you know if they have tested the integrity of the HDD ?

Offline jingle

• View Profile
Re: Tweaking DID NOT damage computer!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:47:20 am »
Hi Boggin,

My apologies, the shop just contacted me, MY APOLOGIES!  THE HARD DRIVE IS FAULTY!  This may have been the cause of the earlier problems too?

I will see if I can change my earlier posts to show that "Tweaking Computers was NOT to blame and put an apology somewhere.

I can't thank you enough for all the time and trouble you have gone to to help me.

Many thanks indeed.

John.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:56:07 am by jingle, Reason: MY EARLIER MISTAKE. »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking damaged computer!!! SORRY IT WAS MY HARD DRIVE!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 04:59:54 am »
Thanks for the update - that confirms what I was thinking in my last reply.

It's quite normal for to blame the last thing that was done when you get a major problem, but when taking other problems into account, can be put down to something else.

I hope you haven't lost too much from the HDD.