Author Topic: Does the adsl splitter passes the full signal thro modem/router?  (Read 6282 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Does the adsl splitter passes the full signal thro modem/router?
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:06:37 am »
I read from so much websites, that the telephone line if it passes through directly will give unbearable noise.
Likewise, if it is not directly connected to modem, you give feeble data signal through it.
But when i ask the same to technician, he insist that both line could be passed through the splitter, at respective labels and it is the best thing.
My query is , if you have a modem supplied with splitter, that it passes the full signal through the modem lable, and filtered signal thro the phone line?
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does the adsl splitter passes the full signal thro modem/router?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:19:37 am »
We call them microfilters and the connection would be master socket - microfilter with ADSL and phone cables plugged into that with the ADSL cable going to the modem or modem/router.

A microfilter has two plug holes, one for the ADSL cable and the other for the phone line,

However, just to avoid confusion, you would use a splitter to connect more than one device to the broadband.

Perhaps this article may help. - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/635/~/why-do-i-need-adsl-filters-%28microfilters%29-and-where-do-they-go%3F

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:25:38 am »
Hi, Boggins, Thanks for the information.
But my query is , is the adsl pllug has does not filters , so that you get full data speed thro it , and the other phone has a kind of filters to filter to your telephone line , within that splitter?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:30:02 am »
Yes, the filter does it all - it separates the broadband from the voice so that you get a pure broadband signal from one side of the microfilter and a clear phone line from the other.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:40:16 am »
Hi, So you say, that is inbuilt (inbuilt mechanism, having different inner parts within the splitter. Wow. Nice explanation. Because, splitter suggest just splitting, meaning that it just routes the wire to two devices.Your explanation is good.
I thought differently that if it just split, then the maximum data speed required for computer would be slowed, if just splits.
So, i take in to that, it gives full speed wire signal to the modem, even if it passes thro the splitter with the Adsl outlet and Filters the other line going to telephone to reduce the whoosh, sea sound
In other words, if i change the telephone wire connection to the modem, then i will be getting the whoosh sound, will check. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:43:32 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:09:19 am »
I don't see how you could do that because a master socket only has one socket to plug anything in, so to get phone and broadband, you would need to use a microfilter so that you can connect both phone and modem/router when the broadband comes down the phone line..

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 05:02:30 am »
Hi, Boggins , consider this , My outside telephone wire >Rosettebox>line>splitter-modemplug>modem
                                                                                                                    phone plug >phone
I have already explained the connection, but only wants to know , the splitter has the mechanism to give full signal in modem plug and filtered signal on phone plug
I will just inter change the phone to the modem jack, by just disconnecting the modem jack . If that has inner mechanism, then i will get whoosh sound in the telephone. If i get a filtered tone, then i can come to the conclusion, that it just split the signal to two devices, modem and telephone.
I will check and report

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:26:50 pm »
Hi, Boggins, the splitter has a mechanism to pass full data speed thro modem jack, and filtered through the telephone line. This i did test with connecting the telephone wire jack with the modem portion of the splitter. The sound was unbearable. When i connect back to telephone jack in the spliltter, the sound gets filtered.