Author Topic: Computer will not load or go into safe mode  (Read 15782 times)

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
Computer will not load or go into safe mode
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:05:36 pm »
After running one of the programs from Tweaking.com(i don't remember what one) my Desktop computer running Windows 10 home upgraded from Windows 8 can no longer load up. Sometimes it just loops in a black screen, however today I got 2 different color error screens. Both said some thing. Error code Windows.com/stopcode or it was stop something. One screen was blue the other green. But said the same thing.I tried the media creation disk and the rescue disk. Not sure if I downloaded the rescue disk correctly. So I'm completely stuck on what to do. I do have another laptop so I can get programs I may need downloaded. Anyone who can help I would appreciate it. I'm not a complete noob on Computers but not an expert either. So some of the solutions I'm not completely understanding.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Computer will not load or go into safe mode
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:30:23 am »
The blue screen is known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) and it's the Stop Error Code that can tell you what has gone wrong.

The green screen I would think would denote a graphics or memory problem - neither of which may relate to running any Tweaking programs.

Can you boot up the machine again to see if you get the blue screen to make a note of the Stop Error Code and post that.

If you don't have a Win 10 install disk or USB you can create one on your other machine after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

As you upgraded from Win 8/8.1 then you will most likely have an UEFI BIOS in which you will need to turn off Secure Boot as well as change the boot order for to boot up with install media.

You can get into the BIOS by pressing and holding F2 as you switch on.

I don't have any experience of an UEFI BIOS so can't walk you through turning off Secure Boot but you would use the cursor keys to navigate to the Boot tab and again to select the media you have used for the install media then use F5 or F6 to move that to the top, insert the install media then press 10 to Save and Exit - press enter to confirm and wait for the machine to boot.

If using a DVD then you will be prompted to press any key to boot from CD/DVD - do that and you may be presented with an inverse screen with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted - just press enter.

Use the dropdown to change or confirm the Time and currency format - Next - which will take you to the Install screen.

Click on Repair your computer - Troubleshoot - System Restore or if you have a Windows system image, you can select that.

Click on Windows 10 - Next - and select a restore point to prior your boot problems to see if that will resolve.

If using an USB, the procedure is the same except that you aren't prompted to press any keys to boot from that media.

However, when done you will need to remove the USB before rebooting the machine as it will auto boot from it.

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 02:15:54 am »
Thanks for the info.ill boot up the computer tomorrow and take a screen shot of those stopcode errors. This has been driving me crazy. Any idea of resources for BIOS configuration.. Im not tob familiar with the BIOS either. Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 02:39:39 am »
I've found two articles, one is a rough guide to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS and the other is to do it from the advanced boot options, but the latter could be a Catch 22 for you as you will need to boot up with install media first to get there, although it will be handy for future reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/disabling-secure-boot

https://fossbytes.com/enable-disable-secure-boot-windows-8-10/

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:17:33 pm »
Well Guys I've tried what you have told me without any luck. But mostly it's because I'm not very good with BIOS. When I tried to disable secure boot it brings up another screen showing different ways to boot it up I believe. Not really sure. Still can not get the computer into safemode. Is there a certain way? Thanks again for the help. Its me who's not that knowledgeable with BIOS.

Mike

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 02:22:35 pm »
Not having had any personal experience with an UEFI BIOS I can only go with what Google tells me.

Have you created the Win 10 install disk or USB and tried to boot up with it ?

I've had some success with a Kaspersky Recue Disk in dealing with a black screen.

https://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk

That may boot up without having to change anything other than the Boot order.

When I've used it, albeit on an older MBR BIOS, I used the graphics mode and Ethernet connected for it to update its Definitions.

When it has completed its scan, remove the disk and reboot to see if the machine will boot up normally.

For a reason that I don't know, it seems to have some repair properties.

Win 10 has another method for getting into recovery mode and that is to switch the machine on and then power shut it down three times, although normally you would shut it down when it got to POST but you aren't getting that far, but I'd go for a scan with Kaspersky first if it will boot up with it.

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 02:38:22 pm »
I have a disk for that however I cant seem to get it to load up a disk. So what do yiu mean by graphics mode? And did you use a disk or useb. Thanks

MIke

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 02:43:12 pm »
I used a disk.

Were you able to change the boot order in the BIOS ?

When I used it, there was an option to use either graphics mode so that you have an UI to click on or a sort of a command line mode from memory.

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »
I'd have to look at it again. I''l try now and get back to you. Thanks so much

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 05:45:10 pm »
So I'm still not having any luck booting up Kaspersky Rescue Disk or the Media Creation Disk. I'm going to keep googling it and see what I find. I may have to bring it to someone. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 12:46:18 am »
Yes, unless you can turn off Secure Boot then you're not going to be able to boot up with anything, but it was worth a try.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 04:17:18 am »
Let's try something else.

Can you download Macrium Reflect Free and create a Macrium WPE disk - ideally this should be created on the affected machine but should suffice for what I want to try.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Insert a DVD then click on the Disk Image icon and follow the prompts.

Before clicking to commence burning, check the box to Enable multiboot MBR/UEFI USB support if using an USB as well as checking the USB box for choice of media.

This supports Secure Boot so it may not need to be disabled for the machine to boot up from the disk.

You may have to go into the BIOS of the affected machine to check that the Boot order is still set to check the CD/DVD drive before the HDD - insert the disk - press F10 to Save and Exit - press enter to confirm and hopefully you should be prompted to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.

If that's successful, click on Fix Windows boot problems - click on your version of Windows - Next - check the box for Windows C: - Next - Finish where it will rebuild the BCD which will hopefully get you back in.

Remove the disk then click on Yes for the restart.

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 03:35:25 pm »
Ok so I made the Macrium Rescue Disk, However, I figured out why the Kaspersky Rescue disk wasn't working. So I created a USB drive with Kaspersky and got it to run. I do have a number of questions on it. And I did read the manual!!
1. I did a scan in graphics mode first ticking just the first 2 boxes. So not C drive. No issues. Then I ticked the c Drive and unticked the other 2 but I was having issues with the proxy server not connecting. So I do I figure that out? I have the port number and IP address. What do I use for Username and Password?
2. So Then I went into text mode. Did the scan on the faster items. Then I clicked on the C drive. I was into an hour and still at 1%. Is that normal? Still had no issues when i gave up. Restarted computer and it actually went into the screen a different screen that said "repairing something. Will take an hour or more". Sorry don't remember what exactly it said, But it seemed positive. Like maybe I had a chance to get it fixed. Then 15 min in the Blue screen Reared its ugly color!! So I guess if you guys know the answers to some my questions I'll try Kaspersky again. Or may just go with the Macrium. Although throwing the tower out the window is looking mighty tempting!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 01:22:57 am »
You need to have patience when you are running something like that - I'd try it again.

It had obviously made some progress for you to get a different screen.

I'm running it again on another machine to refresh my memory.

Did you select My Update Center and Ethernet connect for it to update its Database before the scan ?

I momentarily had a couple of lines where it said it had failed something or other but it wasn't on the screen long enough for me to read it.

Not sure if Ethernet connecting resolved that.

While I've never read the manual, in the Objects Scan menu I don't have C: listed.

This is on a Win 10 machine.

The default two are for Disk Boot Sectors and Hidden startup objects.

It gives me three others as sda1, sda2 and sda3 but when I've run the scan previously to get me out of the mire, I've just run it on the default settings selected.

The sda files have icons on the desktop which when clicked on, do cover other items such as AMD for that machine, so it may be prudent to check those boxes as well, given that you are getting a BSOD.

When it has updated its database - and it's still on 41% and has been updating for about 30mins now, I'll select all of the items and see how it progresses and let you know later.

I wasn't prompted for a username or password - but the machine isn't password protected.

For you, that may have been because you had selected C: which I can't replicate.

Don't throw it out of the window yet :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 02:14:46 am »
Just an update on the scan.

After running at 1% for a little while - didn't check the time, it went to a black screen but as one of the items it was checking was the graphics, I assume it would need to turn them off, pretty much like you get a black screen when updating graphics drivers.

When it came back on it showed that it was scanning sda3 which was the last one but it's giving a finish time of 7 hours and showing at 9%

I'll just be letting it run to completion even though the machine doesn't have a fault.

EDIT - It has just changed the finish time to 8 hours so don't know when it will finish but it's still on 9%.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:19:41 am by Boggin »

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 05:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the update.
As I was searching for more options I came across this Error code that was affecting Windows Insider updates and one of the problems was the black screen loop. I found an article that had a fix for the issue. I haven't had a chance to apply fix yet. However, I just found this fix.

http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=0x80070426

So I need to look a little more.This error is also causing the windows store problem as well.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 12:50:32 am »
I don't like the look of this program and can't see how you could install it if you can't get into Windows.

This appears to be a registry cleaner which I'm always wary of.

I've only gone this far after creating a restore point but have no intention of installing it to check it out.

How did you get on with the Kaspersky or Macrium disks ?

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 06:40:34 pm »
Yeah my bad on this one. Sorry

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 11:30:33 pm »

I've come across this Wiki-Errors site before when searching for resolutions to error messages. I believe all the links take you to the same computer fixing software that'll supposedly search your computer for problems and then present you with an enormous list that require you to purchase the software in order to fix the "errors". The universe does not contain a sufficiently long bargepole to touch this with.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 12:10:39 am »

I've come across this Wiki-Errors site before when searching for resolutions to error messages. I believe all the links take you to the same computer fixing software that'll supposedly search your computer for problems and then present you with an enormous list that require you to purchase the software in order to fix the "errors". The universe does not contain a sufficiently long bargepole to touch this with.

Yes, it put me in mind of another program that gets pushed on these Wiki sites and that is Reimage which does just what you describe.

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 02:00:34 am »
Well I had to take a break from trying to get my pc going. I tried today with the Macromedia and no luck. Tried media creation tool. No luck. Anyone have any other ideas? I'm so pissed and frustrated. I may restart and create each program on new disks. But if anyone knows of something to get my pc to get out of this loop I'd owe you my life. Not really. But ready to just go get win 10 disk. But money's tight. Thanks guys. Everyone has been great. Just so frustrating.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 02:22:42 am »
I assume you mean Macrium and not Macromedia ?

You haven't said if you let Kaspersky run to completion.

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 05:31:37 am »
Just tried it again it was acting weird
Going to try that if I can get that working. If I bought a windows 10 disk. Would it be as simple as just installing it fro disk?

Offline Siver12

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 05:37:09 am »
Another crazy question. If I had an older Hard drive lying around could I connect to PC, format then use the media creation tool on that drive?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 05:41:07 am »
You don't need to buy an install disk - they are freely available from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If you can get that to boot then you should be able to get into the recovery environment to use the restore points.

Navigate to the Install screen and click on Repair your computer and then you will see where you are.

Just seen your latest post - you could but try an install disk first.